Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by fromthatshow, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Do your parents know that you do drugs/drink?
    Mine know now, and I don't think they'd care aside from the fact I just went in the hospital and they don't think it's right. Now they're yelling at me. It seems like it's just giving me all the more reason to commit. I need love right now not anger. If they really want what's best for me they're showing it in a terrible way. Mostly my Dad.
    How have your parents reacted if they found out? Anyone ever been kicked out because of it? It's 10 times worse when you have mental illness because you're in pain and then if you're getting shit about it you just want to use more.
    I feel like I just want to get high until I die.
  2. noPoint

noPoint Well-Known Member

My dad kindof disowned me when he found it. He did it more with his actions and his smart comments. He tried to act like he never used in his life.

My mom cared, but she cared in a way a mother would, she just wants me to be happy and will love me no matter what I do. Even if I don't feel the same towards this family.

But I heard it alot, and it just made me want to rebel even more. They didn't approach it the right way. My father is just an idiot and doesn't know how to deal with any type of problem without yelling and cursing.

I don't use anymore. I do smoke a black and mild here and there. But I defenatly understand you.

What really upset me about my father trying to tell me I couldn't drink or smoke, was that he used to sniff coke when he was younger, and go to bars, it became a huge dark joke and I don't see things becoming any better any soon.
  3. soapymongoose

soapymongoose Well-Known Member

My parents used to comment on my drinking, they never tried to stop me but they were of the attitude that if it was in the open they could regulate it. I'm not sure what they would've done had they known the whole truth. Smoking was the big issue. I've smoked cigarettes since 12/13 and managed to keep a weed problem under wraps for over 10 years. Had some very interesting run-ins with my step-father over it. I've had physical health issues, sinus trouble and nose trouble, facial surgery (not by choice, coz of an accident) so smoking IS more unhealthy for me than it is for your average person. I'm sure a lot of people here would understand why I've always seen that as more of a positive reason to smoke a lot :unsure: I've never tried explaining that to my parents though.

My drug issues came out (finally,lol) at the end of last year when I ended up in hospital after a 4 day bender. Now I'm 28 and been living away from home anyway for the last 4 years so I'm just left to it really. Don't talk to my parents that much, I think they think I've given up and let all my issues swallow me. The ironic thing is I've been trying more than ever recently. I can guarantee if I was ever busted at home, and there would've been so many near misses, I would've moved out a lot sooner. I just used to think "fuck 'em, they don't understand." They didn't anyway, they admitted as much. If they didn't understand but judged anyway then in my book it wasn't constructive judgement and didn't mean an awful lot.
  4. jhayes0027

jhayes0027 Well-Known Member

Have you tried to talk to your parents about how they are acting and the way it makes you feel? Sometimes communication works best. I wouldn't really know offhand though. Mine weren't sure I was doing anything til I got sent to jail and put it in perspective lol. I wish I had talked to them early on though. Maybe they'd have tried to help out, my mom at least. I don't have a healthy relationship with my father but the support of one can be very helpful.

The problem is a lot of parents don't understand that we don't always abuse things for the sake of abuse. I have a problem with not being able to cope well with things, so using "insert whatever here" sometimes helps mellow me out or something. They tend to think a lot of times that yelling, or removing friends and activities is the way to go. It's actually quite the opposite at times. Friends are sometimes the only thing keeping me from doing something I don't really need to be.

I didn't get kicked out, more like my mom moved out, but she had reasons as well. I live with my brother at the moment but I don't feel wanted here either. On the plus side, him being my age he does at least understand a bit and for the most part stays out of my business. He does ask me if I'm ok on occasion if he sees me doing things I normally wouldn't, like reading books lol.

There are sometimes other people out there besides your parents you could just try talking too, siblings, other family, friends. That helps out as well. When i get a craving or urge I like to hang out with a friend that stays clean and doesn't try to get me to do things.

I don't know how old you are but just try and chat with them about it. It could be hard to do but in the end may be productive. If not don't let it get you down. There are always people out there who care and understand, such as the people here. Some people have just never experienced, researched, or are not open minded on such subjects.
  5. Thinice

Thinice Well-Known Member

My parents know I've smoked weed, but they think I've stopped now.
  6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I drink because of my parents. I mean, I was raised in a drinking home and we enjoy cocktails together. They're functioning alcoholics.
  7. Fantasy Addict

Fantasy Addict Active Member

I've only drank three times, and I've never done drugs.

When I told my mother about the drinking seeking advice, she locked herself in her room and didn't talk to me for a couple days.

My dad just told me that I was going to hell, just like my "sinner" of a sister, and we haven't spoken much since then. :dry:
  8. forgotten1

forgotten1 Member

My parents don't care. In fact, they're worse with the drinking/drugs than I am. I have actually gone to my dad for pills before since he seems to know the cheapest deals in town. My mom and I drink together. We're just a whole substance abusing family. I don't know if I like that or not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.