Passenger forced to stand for 7 hours on airline

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

The 400 pound man next to him apologized saying, "I'm your worst nightmare."
    By Karen Araiza | Wednesday, Nov 23, 2011 | Updated 4:31 PM EST

A man flying to Philly was forced to stand for seven hours on a US Airways flight. After the 400-pound man sitting next to him got settled in, there wasn't enough room for Arthur Berkowitz to get back into his seat.

It didn't help that getting from Anchorage, Alaska to Philadelphia is one of the longest non-stop flights.

Berkowitz, 57, told the Daily Mail that the obese man felt terrible about the circumstances.

"He was a real gentleman," Berkowitz said. "The first thing he said to me was, 'I want to apologize. I'm your worst nightmare.'"

At first, Berkowitz thought he had a little elbow room for the long flight. He was sitting next to the last empty seat. Just before takeoff, the 400-pound man came on board and the attendants directed him to that last seat.

Berkowitz said the flight attendants were "sympathetic" when they realized he'd have to stand, but there was nothing they could do.

The incident happened last July. A gate agent did admit to Berkowitz that the airline should have made the obese man buy two seats. Berkowitz says he wrote to US Airways, asking for a refund and explaining that he was concerned about the safety issues since he had no way to buckle up during takeoff or landing. US Airways emailed him an apology for his "regrettable" experience, according to consumer advocate Christopher Elliot, and offered him a $200 voucher.

"The $200 is inappropriate," Berkowitz said. "I paid in excess of $800 for the ticket."

When Berkowitz wasn't satisfied with the response from the airline, that's when he contacted Christopher Elliott, who went public with the story on his blog.

Posted Wednesday, Nov 23, 2011 - 4:04 PM EST
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

why in gods name would they not refund this man his complete ticket price I hope the airline sees their mistakes and gives him a full refund and more.
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I read about this yesterday on dailymail. I completely blame the airline for this horrendous cock up and I feel sorry for both parties involved in this story. One because the 28 stone guy must have been made to feel completely shit and embarrassed to have to take up two seats where he should have told to purchase two tickets but the real victim is the poor guy who had to stand. Surely this airline should get a fixed penalty for the serious lack of health and safety for this passenger and $200 refund is disgusting after the amount he paid for his ticket. Should be refunded the full money and some more.
  4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Couldn't the attendants have let him lie down in the aisle somewhere out of sight? Jeezus. Fatman should've bought two seats.
  5. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I just would have sat on the toilet, standing for 7 hours? jeez, when i was at air cadets we would stand for 2 to 3 hours during parades and that was tough, strange how doing absolutely nothing can bring so much pain.

What did he do when the seat belt lights came on?
  6. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I agree with others, that the obese man should bought both seats. The airline is also seriously in the wrong, because of the 200 dollar voucher. How's that for 'understanding' the predicament.

'Oh, lets give him a 200 dollar voucher, even though he paid us 800 dollars. Maybe he will shut up now... Duh.' I swear that's how most corporate execs think.
  7. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I agree that the large guy should have paid for two seats,maybe he shoulda been the one to stand up for the flight? They could make the seats a bit roomier tho,we aren't all the same size.
  8. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

This is sad for both people. I feel bad for the large man and the man who had to stand. Most of us suffer from mental problems here but there are so many different disorders and problems. I wish people were more understanding to all people who suffer from disabilities whether it be depression or being overweight. Life is so stressful and everyone has different coping mechanisms. Some people eat, some smoke, some drink, some use drugs. I wish there was a cure for everyone :(
  9. pit

pit Well-Known Member

On second thought, they should've stuffed the fat fuck in the fuselage.
  10. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Im sorry but thats very very funny!!! :lol!::lol!::lol!::lol!::lol!:
  11. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

when the obese man presented his ticket they should have refused his entry onto the plane..
    what were they thinking?
    don't stewards have a seat to buckle up in? they coulda let him sit there through the flight.
  12. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Werid situation :S They load the plane with every passenger, and make sure they are sitting, before they even detach from the terminal. The stewardeses should have aprised the pilot of the situation, because he's responsibile at the end of the day. The pilot should have refused to leave until the situation was resolved.

But even then? Why didnt one of the stewardess give the man their seats? I swear there is a spare seat in the cockpit aswell? Toilet even? .. perhaps they're re-wording him standing for that length of time to make it a bit more dramatic and keep the fact highlighted that he didn't have a permenant seat.
    .. Strange. Shoulda sat on the guys lap :D Or slept in the baggage compartment :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.