Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Inker19, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Inker19

Inker19 Well-Known Member

Passive aggressive people are the biggest cause of frustration in my life.

This whole culture of Facebook and instant messaging and text messaging just breeds passive aggression, to the point where I'm frankly embarrassed to be part of the first generation of people who really grew up with these things readily available.

When there's Facebook and text messages, nobody has to actually talk to anyone face-to-face anymore. If someone wants nothing to do with you, but doesn't have the sack to actually tell you off and stop being your friend, this is perfect for them. They can just speak cryptically or flat out make things up and never have to make definitive yes or no answers because they never have to actually look someone in the eyes. It's always "I may have to do this so I don't know" or "I don't know if I'll be home" and then they just never respond to you. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. It's always I don't know.

I can think of one person in particular who I was friends with for years. I always thought he was a great guy and a pretty normal, straight-forward guy. Didn't get involved in any of the drama or any other bullshit in our high school years. He never had a Myspace; people always told him he needed to get one and his response was always "nah I don't want to bother with that stuff". Then one day he got a Facebook account and added me. Ever since that happened, it's like he was infected with the disease. We were hanging out pretty regularly before this and used to watch hockey games together all the time. But once he got the Facebook disease, the I-don't-knows and the maybes started to creep in.

Eventually it got to the point where I didn't even want to hang out with him anymore, but kept sending him text messages just to see what his response would be. Now I've deleted him from Facebook and all that crap, but it feels so depressing to see someone who you grew up with and you were close with just wanting nothing to do with you for no reason... and if there is a reason, they don't have the balls to tell you. Again, because they've become passive-aggressive douche bags.

I've just articulated the most heinous case, but I've seen this happen to probably a dozen people I used to be close with. I can't stand it.
  2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

OMG I have the same experience as you...I have seen that whole Facebook "thing" turn a few people I know into completely different beings! It is sad and why I never got involved in all...I don't want any part of all that!!

So glad I am not alone in this..
  3. ride26

ride26 Member

I went on a hike with this kid who brought a camera with him. He wanted me to snap a couple pictures of him so I did, then immediately after he wanted to go back home. He didn't really want to hike, he just wanted pictures for his facebook.

I also know a girl who dated a guy for 2 months or so then got married. Put all the wedding pics on facebook for the world to see just like her friends did when they got married. Then the girl gets divorced a half year later.

All some people care about is how they look on facebook. Its funny and sad at the same time.
  4. lifehiker

lifehiker Member

I completely understand. People where besieging me to join Facebook and I finally did. But nobody actually talks to anybody. I tried sending messages to a few people and would never get a reply. Finally, some topics started to be posted that I did agree with and I was savagely rebuked. What I call the the "I right your Hitler" response.

I've become completely disillusioned with Facebook, and although I can't really delete my account, I committed "Facebook suicide" by deleting my posts, pictures, info and unfriending everyone.
  5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

"Facebook suicide" that is hilarious! I did the same thing too! OMG you just cracked me up and made my day...I am so using that line ..I will give you credit though.
  6. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I despise these networks. I refuse to use them for this very reason.