pay closer fucking attention

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ybt, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybt

ybt Guest

You know, I think it's been well established that somebody who is depressed can be cured with therapy. This can be professional or just two people talking to each other, but it works.

So why is it that seemingly every person who comes on to the forum gets offered "have you tried these pills yet?" "you should really be on some pills." is this a fucking joke? Honestly, if you're just joking, I'll be quite relieved. But no, these people marshall forward in an attempt to cure people from their depression... by offering them pills. Do you have any idea how you can get hooked on pills, or you can't stop taking them because that would wreck you? No, of course you don't, otherwise you wouldn't recommend them so readily in the first place.

<mod edit: offensive>

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  2. twilightki

twilightki Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you here. I think it's only appropriate to recommend someone to get anti depressants if they seem to have emotional problems, not just bad problems that make them feel depressed. Almost every thread I look at I see someone talking about pills to the original poster. Pills don't solve everything....

3. Christianv2

Christianv2 Well-Known Member

Its always gonna be America's solution. Everything needs to be cheaper, faster, quicker, better, all the time, Why I dont know. Pills are quickly dispensed, and can be inexpensive, while therapy takes several thousand man hours and costs so much. Taking a pill is easy and takes 10 secs, while therapy takes months, lots of money, and lots of time on the part of the therapists and the person,

Plus another issue is opening up to a therapist vs. taking a pill, taking a pill seems so much easier than facing your problems, which is why it comes up so much because we are afraid of those issues and we feel the pills will just make it go away, but we need to confront the issues. Like Kennedy said, the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.

4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I think pills can be helpful...:unsure:
    I think you should be in therapy as well though, and not just rely on pills to make some miracle cure, because once you're off of the pills, how would you deal with the same issues?

5. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I agree-pills r always supposedly THE ANSWER. Never mind they wreck your liver, make your skin itch, bowels work wrong etc. Went to p-doc today-wants me to increase dosage of pill even tho I'm a farting zombie on the current dose.
    I think there's A LOT of alternative therapies for various illnesses that are never even considered. I KNOW I'm sick-literally-from their medical wonder drugs

There HAS got to be a better way; somehow we got along for centuries without this poison.

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I do not think medication should be ruled out completely. It should be taken with care and the knowledge of what the side effects can be. Therapy may not always be enough. I don't think meds should be the first answer or first thing tried, but I also don't think they should be discounted either. There are no cut and dried answers. What works for one may not work for someone else. There are pros and cons to every cure or attempt to cure. You must find what works best for you.

7. chewie93

chewie93 Member

I agree that there's no substitute for therapy or just talking with someone, but I've definitely benefited from pills too. Only about a quarter of the stuff I've taken has made any difference, but I couldn't function without my Wellbutrin. I'm not gonna go recommending it to anyone else, but pills aren't universally bad as long as they're combined with some kind of psychotherapy.

8. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

:agreed: :grouphug:

9. ybt

ybt Guest

No no, I don't think medication should be ruled out completely, in certain cases they're essential, but a lot of people and one particular person especially, not to name names, though I'd like to VERY much and humiliate the person on the boards, post pills as the first option.

10. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

so is your main point in this thread to target that person and say you are wrong or are you generally against meds as a whole.

I think that certain degrees of depression need pills to bring them out of the chronic depression so they can recieve therapy and get better. I don't think pills should be dished out just because I think it should be in dire circumstances. I think some doctors just give pills out sometimes because that's all they know how to do, but yeah pills should be given out in certain circumstances.

11. ybt

ybt Guest

I'm against meds being advised as the very first thing a person should do when the person has barely posted on this board. A lot of people will just say "oh. pills." and it pisses me off. I want to target one person who's particularly bad at this but I'm not going to, unfortunately. Sure, sometimes I'm really for meds, but not with the ferocity of these people.

12. ~PinkElephants~

why target someone exclusively ybt? Clearly you must know that people have their own beliefs and own thoughts on things. Why try to "humiliate" someone as you so put it when we are here to support people not destroy people by humiliating people? I am not trying to target you so please don't misconstrue my words but clearly it seems you are out to hurt someone by this post. Why not take your issues with this person and their means to say oh pills in a pm rather than say post after post that you wish to demean someone?

13. ybt

ybt Guest

This wasn't supposed to be my main point, I just said that incidentally I would love to say who it is, because I find it so stupid - I don't think it's worth it to take it up with individual people, I just hope they perhaps listen to some advice.

14. ~PinkElephants~

Everyone should listen to advice now and again...it's not just that one person, you know? I think people will believe what they do regardless of your beliefs or anyone else's for that matter. I don't see the big deal with this person really. You have your ideas on the whole medication dilemma and so does this person. Why not take it as their opinions and move on, you don't have to agree with people, just as they don't have to agree with what you say. That's the way the world is. That's what makes life interesting. Merely pinpointing one person would be pointless because you aren't going to agree with everyone in life, so why target one person?

15. ybt

ybt Guest

What I'm really trying to do here is trying to justify something which I currently find trivial. I have to go to bed owing to the ungodly hour of awakening tomorrow so shame on both of us should you reply - I just urge everybody to not so hastily recommend medications, not necessarily one particular person.

16. ~PinkElephants~

I have to comment even if you say you are going to bed. I thought of something. You say don't reccomend medications so readily, the fact is we aren't therapists or doctors or any type of person to give out meds. We are just stating opinions as to what we think you may or may not be able to do to get better. What it boils down to is whether we say do this or do that, it doesn't matter because ultimately it's up to a real doctor to make that decision and it's up to the person as to whether they want to go on drugs or not.

17. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

:blink: Meds have saved my life...

18. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

every one has their own opinion, i think medically there can be problems and some pills can help but when it comes to psychiatric drugs, i stay away.

watch the dvd 'Psychiatry: an industry of death'
    http://www.cchr.org/

its really quite frightening.

19. ybt

ybt Guest

The problem is that by offering pills so easily, people can become dependant on them.

20. ~PinkElephants~

I think it all depends on the person and their tolerance to become addicted to the meds.

you started the discussion with saying us as people here on sf shouldn't be offering pills so easily, but like i said we can only give advice not right perscriptions.

Is the point that you don't want drs. to give out pills so easily, or is it that you want people here at sf not to so readily say hey go get pills? I'm confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.