PCOS? Insulin? A Second Opinion Would Be Appreciated

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I've only just seen this Em. Glad your GP has been so good and put an endo referral in so quickly.

My bestie when we were in our twenties was diagnosed with PCOS. When she decided to start a family she was given a mild fertility drug and was pregnant within two months.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Re pregnancy also: I also had / have? PCOS and I sure didn't have any problem getting knocked up. lol God knows I wasn't trying or anything. It's definitely not a show-stopper.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
I've wondered for a while if I have this, too. My periods aren't really irregular, but I have stray dark facial hair and acne, particularly along the lower half of my face. My hair is thin on the top of my head and my eyebrows are also very thin. It's definitely good to get this looked into, if only to give you peace of mind.

EmB

Absolute Peach!
I have that too.. I would say it sounds like classic PCOS to me. I take Spironolactone for the excess facial hair growth and thinning hair.. (My doc monitors my pottasium on it, gotta be careful with it) and Metformin because I'm trying to lose weight and it helps the blood sugars. I think it definitely sounds like you have it. You should check out PCOS forums online too..it can be helpful *hugalso note, you don't have to have cysts to have pcos.
Do you find the medication has helped? And thank you very much - I didn't know that! I will also check the forums :)

I've only just seen this Em. Glad your GP has been so good and put an endo referral in so quickly.

My bestie when we were in our twenties was diagnosed with PCOS. When she decided to start a family she was given a mild fertility drug and was pregnant within two months.
I actually got an appointment today for the endo, which I was (pleasantly) surprised by. 11th March, so it's not too far away at all.

Re pregnancy also: I also had / have? PCOS and I sure didn't have any problem getting knocked up. lol God knows I wasn't trying or anything. It's definitely not a show-stopper.
And I appreciate the advice / experiences on pregnancy too! It's not something I want to do now but I think it just shook me a little, it's something you don't quite think about until something comes up. It's nice to hear that other people have had positive experiences and have been able to still get pregnant, it makes me feel more positive in that respect.

Glad to hear that your doctor is on the ball, Em.

Regarding pregnancy, there are established treatments which can help with this as your doctor will no doubt point out at some relevant stage.

I've pulled out this bit of info in case you're interested

https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/Downloads/pdf/PiPCOSAndFertility.pdf

and some general info regarding PCOS here

https://www.esht.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/0063.pdf
This is great! I appreciate this a lot :)

I've wondered for a while if I have this, too. My periods aren't really irregular, but I have stray dark facial hair and acne, particularly along the lower half of my face. My hair is thin on the top of my head and my eyebrows are also very thin. It's definitely good to get this looked into, if only to give you peace of mind.
Thank you - that's true, it is definitely good to have some clarity about these things. At least now I'm dealing with one thing rather than ten too! :) it's nice to know these things, I'm not alone in them - there's such a focus on looking "perfect" when these things are more normal than people like to say. It's reassuring to know many people have experienced similar things.

Thank you all, I appreciate the support so much :)

Sending hugs

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Do you find the medication has helped? And thank you very much - I didn't know that! I will also check the forums :)

I actually got an appointment today for the endo, which I was (pleasantly) surprised by. 11th March, so it's not too far away at all.

And I appreciate the advice / experiences on pregnancy too! It's not something I want to do now but I think it just shook me a little, it's something you don't quite think about until something comes up. It's nice to hear that other people have had positive experiences and have been able to still get pregnant, it makes me feel more positive in that respect.

This is great! I appreciate this a lot :)

Thank you - that's true, it is definitely good to have some clarity about these things. At least now I'm dealing with one thing rather than ten too! :) it's nice to know these things, I'm not alone in them - there's such a focus on looking "perfect" when these things are more normal than people like to say. It's reassuring to know many people have experienced similar things.

Thank you all, I appreciate the support so much :)

Sending hugs
Heyy yes I find the medication helps. Spironolactone has helped me a lot. I used to have to shave every day. and it'd be back after 8 hours. A noticeable beard 🤣😢 Now its only every 2-3 days. It depends on your level... i'm also at the lowest dose of it. 20mg I think. Because my potassium is higher range so they don't want me to up dosage yet..

Metformin is also good just as a prevention medicine for diabetes. And it re-sensitizes you to the insulin. So you deal with the glucose better. I haven't lost weight because of my atrocious eating habbits. (1000% because of that) but I know it will help when I actually try. I have no excuse lol...but the Spiro takes about 2 months before its at peak level. oh yeah I helps my skin too with acne or excess oil.. Its basically a Testosterone/Androgen inhibitor.

However, to get your periods back... You might need the birth control pill. I used yo take it for that reason. I'd go a whole year without one otherwise. I lost a lot of weight. and so they came back naturally now... So that's where I'm at...
Your doctor should advise you of a good direction though for your body. Its different for each person. *hug I hope you are able to get some answers and solutions..

Last edited:

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Oh yeah I also had a coworker with pcos who was trying to get pregnant. She was able to within months with fertility medicine. She has a baby boy now. I think its definitely manageable 😊

EmB

Absolute Peach!
Heyy yes I find the medication helps. Spironolactone has helped me a lot. I used to have to shave every day. and it'd be back after 8 hours. A noticeable beard 🤣😢 Now its only every 2-3 days. It depends on your level... i'm also at the lowest dose of it. 20mg I think. Because my potassium is higher range so they don't want me to up dosage yet..

Metformin is also good just as a prevention medicine for diabetes. And it re-sensitizes you to the insulin. So you deal with the glucose better. I haven't lost weight because of my atrocious eating habbits. (1000% because of that) but I know it will help when I actually try. I have no excuse lol...but the Spiro takes about 2 months before its at peak level. oh yeah I helps my skin too with acne or excess oil.. Its basically a Testosterone/Androgen inhibitor.

However, to get your periods back... You might need the birth control pill. I used yo take it for that reason. I'd go a whole year without one otherwise. I lost a lot of weight. and so they came back naturally now... So that's where I'm at...
Your doctor should advise you of a good direction though for your body. Its different for each person. *hug I hope you are able to get some answers and solutions..
That's good to know! I'm lucky enough not to have to worry about too much excess hair! Though my GP mentioned metformin as the likely path once I've seen the endo so that's sounding useful. I definitely need to lose some weight - I'm planning on cutting down my carbs from tomorrow, but treating it more as a lifestyle change than an extreme, restrictive diet.

Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it :D

Sending hugs

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00