People annoy me...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by SashaJade, May 21, 2011.

1. SashaJade

SashaJade Well-Known Member

I'll apologise now if my language gets a bit colourful in this rant...

I have realised that so many people are uneducated about mental illness - depression and suicide attempts to be precise.

I've recently witnessed someone slagging off someone else because of their failed attempt - calling them attention seeking and such.

Well, I decided I wasn't gonna stand for this and got involved, saying something along the lines of "try to understand what this person is actually going through before you make judgement like that".

So, they turned around and said "awwwwww emos unite"

Now, it may just be me, but I took serious offence to this statement. I for one do not consider myself emo, or anything similar. Calling people with mental illness and things emos is pathetic, some people will attempt suicide and self harm for attention whereas others feel it is the only way out.

I just turned around and said "emos unite? Wow, you're well educated aren't you...? Prick."

Is it just me this pisses off or does it do that to other people to? I for one hate being lumped into a catagory i'm not part of just for my behaviour and i'm sure others do too.

Sorry for the ranting, this just highly pissed me off.

2. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

I try my best not to let the ignorant comments of others bother me, but I do understand where you are coming from. I also hate being blindly categorized into a group. I heard someone say that whenever someone makes an azz out of themselves like that person did, the best thing to is to smile at them and say nothing. They won't know what you are thinking. I have never tried that because I keep myself secluded from others and I'm not really sure I know how to smile.
    One of the more ignorant things I have heard someone say is that "a person chooses to be happy or sad". When she said that she was in denial over her own emotional problems, but I am not in denial anymore and I realize how ignorant it was for me to say that.

3. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

Ignorance is truly rife! i've heard the same, that its attention seeking, selfish, mentally unstable, incapable of dealing with life, useless, arrogant and conceited. Bored, underachiever,,,,,,,
    the list goes on ive heard it all.....
    dont let the actions of these people dictate how you feel, anger lead to hurt and they just are not worth it.
    last time someone said something like that to me i retorted with " you cant educate pork"

these are the sorts of people that do the same thing day in and day out, over and over and each time they expect different results,,,, seriously,,, who has the mental deficiency??

4. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Youve answered your own question in your second sentence. Unless people have been there then they react exactly as you have described.

But let me ask you this, say you see something about heroin and have some preconcieved notion already. Whether they are clean or not you still percieve them as some junkie? Im not saying this is what you do im using it as an example. Surely somewhere along the line you yourself have been judgemental, even though you havent been through whatever. Its the human condition, ive done it and so has everyone else.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I agree. Comments such as 'aww emos unite' are highly annoying. Try not to let them get to you, they aren't worth the time of day.

6. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

i know that feeling as i get cussed at everyday out in public. as for the categorizing thing, i tend to catch myself doing it and stop myself. i also get cussed at while i am in my own house. punk ass bitches. don't listen to that person. waste of time. i should know.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

That really pisses me off Sam!!! When I was at school I got it all the time. I never really dressed to the stereotype. I did wear quite a lot of black, but not like the clothes goths or rockers would wear. I used to wear arm sleeves occasionally. To hide scars and because I loved wearing them. But I was called emo all the time and it was horrible. Got bullied for being "different". I hated school. I hate these emo comments. They are so unnecessary. It doesn't matter how you dress, what music you listen to, what hobbies you like, anyone can be subject to mental health issues.