People in crisis still helping others?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Socks, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socks

Socks Member

Greetings.

I am new here, so not always sure what to say or how to say it or if I should say it. One Q I keep having is: are there those here who are suicidal, yet are still helping others? Is that possible or accepted? Not sure if this makes sense or if I am wording it right.
    There seem to be some very helpful people here.
    Thank you in advance,
    -Socks

2. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

A lot of people here are suffering a lot themselves and want to help everyone else, most of the time it's for selfish reasons, to keep their mind off of things, or to feel good about themselves, and there is nothing at all wrong with that. Others have been at one point, suicidal and just want to stick around to help. Then there's those that are just depressed and still want to help. Of course, you still get people who come here, make a couple of posts and then piss off after, but that's okay too. No one is making anyone stay on this site. We're here because we want to be, or because for some people, it's all that keeps us going etc. Does that answer your question? Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

3. Socks

Socks Member

Thank you, Red.
    I guess what I mean is that I am here to learn or to get help or just try to hang on. Yet there are posts I read wherein I feel I coild have something to offer; yet I wonder if it would ring false or actually be harmful since I am not totally stable myself. Does that make sense?

Thank you,
    -Socks

4. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

We're all in the same boat here, if you feel you have advice to offer somone, by all means, offer it. stick to the forum rules and never talk about ways to commit suicide, and you'll do fine here.

5. Socks

Socks Member

Red, thank you for that. Of course I respect the forum rules.

Regards,
    -Socks

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi socks :)

Like Wayne said, its completely acceptable and I think it does help to be there for someone else when you're feeling low yourself. Btw, welcome to the forum!

7. Socks

Socks Member

IrishDoll, thank you so much.

-Socks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.