people saying they are something they are not.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by wheresmysheep, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

now this may seem petty but it really gets on my nerves.
    people saying they irish when they arent.
    just cause your grand parents were, or distant cousin was doesnt mean you are.
    you are apart of a nation by being BORN into that nation. for instance me i am irish, my brother is ENGLISH cause my mother gave birth to him in england, but he has irish heritage. doesnt make him irish.

sorry just really annoys me.
    and just to be clear, i'm not meaning to just single out the irish thing, i get annoyed when other nations do it too. just seems to be irish that ist more common to happen too :dry:
  2. greyroses

greyroses Well-Known Member

all a matter of perspective and opinion :biggrin:
  3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I guess I'm English then :blink: I've always been told that it's where your family are from...not arguing with you or anything.
  4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to pretend to be Irish?
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

"My brother was born in England, therefore he is English"

My grandfather, a very wise man, would reply, "if a cat gave birth in an oven, are they cookies?"
  6. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

:laugh: Aoeu

Half my family are Irish, though I consider myself English as I was born and raised here. :)
    Personally I think where you grew up is what country you are from.
  7. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Actually that is not true. If your parents have citizenship of a country you are entitled to hold citizenship of that nation too, even if you were not born there. The only exception is America I believe who don't allow dual citizenships. Also, as an historian, I would say that heritage is very much a part of who were are both as individuals and nations. Your Irish ancestors would certainly have believed that to be true, as would mine.
  8. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i liek that alot lol. i know it goes against what i was saying, but i still liek it.

i wasnt trying to annoy anyone, just a few people saying they are irish when its like their great grandparents who were born in ireland.. it annoys me.. pet hate i suppose
  9. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Yep I'm not even American but since I was born in an american territory I automatically get citizenship. It's strange cause my mom needs a passport...... just to get into America.

Life is confusing.
    Dont let all the nonsense annoy you.
  10. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Where I live, a lot of people come from many different places. Even first generation kids born here from parents who are from a different "home country" sometimes associate heavily with their parents' home country culture. At the same time, those kids sometimes struggle to be seen as "from here".

Perhaps the politically correct version of what gets under your skin, Sheep, and that would make most people happy, would be to say "I was born in __________ and I'm from __________ heritage."

In my experience, Americans appreciate their backgrounds, but I have noticed that for most, they are Americans first and of their heritage second.

BTW, when people hear me talk, I'm often asked if I'm Irish - I'm not :)sad:) - but some of my ancestors were. In the places where they moved when they left Ireland, the language retained a very slight touch of the accent, idiom, and rhythm that gives the world the lovely true Irish lilt. A trace - trace! - of that lilt exists in the way I speak. I'm not Irish. I have a small bit of Irish heritage.

Then again, I've also had my cheek (face!) pinched [hard] as an older man insisted, "You be Russian girl! Good Russian girl!" (I'm only Russian if I'm late! [sorry - no offense meant to anyone!] Not a speck of Russian heritage in me :)sad:)).

Sheep, as I look through that damned sickeningly sweet, positive kaleidoscope that I have, I'm thinking, "At least it's flattering that people want to be Irish, right?" :laugh:
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I think the basic problem is a deficiency of definition.

"I'm Irish". What does this mean? Does this mean, "I was born in Ireland", "I was raised in Ireland and adopted its customs", "my traditional family home is Ireland", "I'm mixed with whiskey"?

You'd like it to mean, "I was born in Ireland" - so perhaps when you wish to say "I'm Irish" you should say, "I was born in Ireland". If you wish to say that you were born in Ireland and have Irish heritage and follow Irish customs, you should say that...

But it's getting unmanageable. And, personally, I would consider anyone who lives in Ireland and belongs to Irish culture to be Irish, independent of anything else, either birthplace or family history or alcohol content.
  12. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I don't know how it is outside the United States but here most people self-identify with their family's background. So if I say I'm Irish, then I mean to say that I'm an American with a family that has strongly identified with its Irish heritage. America has such a sordid history of abuse that identifying your heritage helps you decide what to bitch about. I'm Irish - they had to sleep 12 to a room and work 18 hour days! You know why there are so many Catholic schools in America? Because the Irish Americans have always been stigmatized and hated, etc. etc.

Overall I'm an American. But an Irish American all the same. Not really... really a mixed- American but still that just makes me even better. Because I can complain about slavery and prejudice. :biggrin:

Irish Americans (since thats what we're talking about) are different from the Irish. See my American pride makes me point out that the Easter uprising was strongly funded and supported by American and French Irish. In fact of the people who ran the original riots, only the Irish Americans escaped the gallows :tongue:

so ...there? :rolleyes:

But Americans in general value the diversity of its people. So its not unusual to hear people talk about being Irish or Chinese or Native American or Cuban or Nicaraguan. The only real culture Americans have is found in the support and celebration of the different cultures that make it up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.