People that tell you to be a certain way

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by kangaroo2, Jul 25, 2015.

1. kangaroo2

kangaroo2 Active Member

Do you get sick of people that tell you to be a certain way? Sometimes people tell me to stop looking so miserable, be more social, lighten up, don't take things so seriously. They shouldn't be telling me to be that way because they are not me and they don't know my situation.

I could tell these same people to change things about themselves. For example, lose weight, stop doing so many drugs, don't cheat on your significant other, go back to school. But I don't know their situation or what causes THEM to be that way so I can't just tell them to be different.
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I hate when people think they know everything about your life. Like one day this woman walked by me, and she said "Smile, it can't be that bad", like how would you even know? As you said, you wouldn't give others unsolicited advice, so why should they try to tell you what to do in your own life?
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

That's the problem. People were and is in your situations and made the best out of it, those people giving advice are Driven by their personality.

For example. A family with exact same circumstances, same upbringing, same genetic makeup, same parents etc and the siblings all turn out so different. It's all about their personality, some will turn out extraordinary, some will turn out a drug addict etc. never know
  4. SilentLegend

SilentLegend Member

I don't like it when people tell me that I have to be this or that, because it suddenly puts me in a place where I am pressured to live up to someone else's expectations.
    This makes me insecure and I often get the feeling that I am "letting them down" so to speak.
    Just the notion of having to change my life to please someone else makes me very uncomfortable.
    I want to be able to change my life because I am doing it for me, not because I am doing it just so that so and so will not look down on me.
    I don't want all this pressure, just let me be me.
  5. What Ever

What Ever Active Member