People who intentionally leave children alone in hot cars

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Jul 7, 2010.

What do you think?

1. Agree

18 vote(s)
  2. Disagree

4 vote(s)
  3. Unsure

5 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

should be prosecuted by child abuse due to neglect to the full extent of the law.

I simply do not understand why this happens so much, and the intentionally neglectful parents are not going to prison, particularly when this irresponsible behavior results in death. No child should be left alone in the first place, much less be left alone in a locked car in very hot weather, where conditions in a vehicle are much less tolerable than outside.

Every summer people are constantly reminded, "do not leave your children in hot cars -- yes, even with the windows down," yet every year we keep seeing this happening over and over and over again, with more preventable deaths.

I don't understand why the punishments are not far far worse.

What do y'all think?
  2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I lived in a car for 2 years when I was a kid... there really wasn't much that could be done about that. Summers were hell. Then again... so were winters.
    I was never 'locked' in though, I could get out if I needed to. There was just nowhere else for me to go, though.

For small children who (get heat stroke or worse) are not able to leave the confines of the hot car because their parents locked them in and told them not to leave-- that's wrong, for sure. Something like that should be punishable. Leaving an infant alone is bad enough-- leaving them in a boiling hot car OR a freezing cold car for hours is also wrong...same with leaving any animal in the car for hours
  3. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I said disagree after a minute of thinking about it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "intentionally neglectful". I mean if someone does it on purpose and it's found out I think they should be thrown in jail for murdering a baby (I think there was a CSI episode about this). On the other hand I hope and think people who do it accidentally or out of extreme stupidity are probably already experiencing the worst punishment they could have.

In addition I think the money that would be used to prosecute these people and pay for their jail time could be better used advertising the dangers of leaving a baby (or dog!) in a car. On the other hand I would worry that such a campaign would give really bad parents "ideas".
  4. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Even on a cool day a child should not be left vulnerable to kidnapping so there should be a fine or punishment. My parents thought nothing of leaving my brother and myself in our car when we were very young. They would usually hear the horn honking and find the car's interior in a shambles with my brother having me in one of his inescapable headlocks.
  5. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I also think this goes for pets too. If your just in and out thats one thing, but stepping out for hours is just awful. If you cant tend to your kid or pet then why bring it in the first place? If you cant find a sitter, YOU CANT GO, or CALL IN SICK! Your kids life, or pets life is more important than your activity or job. Simple. as. that.
  6. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I wouldn't even do that to an animal, let alone a child... Some people shouldn't be around either, in my opinion. :unsure:
  7. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I remember one time my mom left me in the car for a few minutes to run into a store and pick something up and a cop came and saw me in the car and gave my mom a ticket for it.

That was the last time she ever left me in a car by myself as a child.

But eh if the parents are idiots and leave their child in a hot car then they should be punished for neglect. Though I find it funny people don't talk about parents leaving kids in the car when it's snowing or something. Neglect is neglect. A child depends on their parent for safety and should always be kept close no matter the situation.
  8. sinnssykdom

Well the reason why its a big deal in the summer is because cars are HOT and the kids(or pets) will overheat FAST and could have a heat stroke and what not. It's a greater chance in a resulting in death in the summer. I guess in the winter the kid could freeze. I see your point though and agree.

I know on a few occasions I've seen pets being left in cars on hot days and they were panting like crazy. The window would be part way down but that wasn't enough! I also admit that on a few occasions which i had it, I've slid dish with water through the window to them. I know its breaking(though not breaking) and entering? i don't know what it would be classified to be honest, but i don't care if i have a water with me and see a dog with the window part way through where they look like they've been there for a bit then i will do whatever i can to save their life. And if i left my dog in the car on a warm day(even though i wouldn't) and if someone snuck some water to my pet i would not be mad in the slightest.
  9. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

oops i voted before reading the tid bit after the question...I agree that they should be prosecuted...maybe thats the only way for them to learn...this also applies for animals...over here, this morning walking citizens called the cops on this person who left his dog in the car windows rolled up. Can you imagine? it's considered the hottest day of the heat wave and this stupid person left his dog in that hot metal box...that person should have gone to jail for a day or two...or worse be locked in that car for an hour or two see how it feels to fry....
  10. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I do not judge. I feel it is unfortunate if death or illness occures because of these situations, but it is not my place to condemn these people. There is only one judge in my book, and that is Yahweh. I will simply say that if it is required they go to jail for these acts, so be it. Either way, I will pray for everyone involved. Blessings..
  11. greyroses

greyroses Well-Known Member

I think its a ridiculous idea. How would you go about proving intentional neglect and protect those who made honest mistakes? And what makes you the authority on parenting?

12. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

When a parent says "I left him in the car...I was gonna come right back [in an hour]!" That sounds intentional enough. How is punishing people who neglect their children "a ridiculous idea"? Children shouldn't be left alone. People commit homicides out of "honest mistakes," people rape out of "honest mistakes," people abuse and kill their children out of "honest mistakes" too. Should no one ever be held accountable for all of these mistakes? Please show how this is "a ridiculous idea," in your opinion.
  13. sinnssykdom

The fact that they left them there in the first place in my opinion is as good enough proof as any. They should know from being in that car that it gets hot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.