People who say Manic Depression and Bipolar Disorder are completely different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anarulesmenow

I just read an article which talked about Bipolar disorder, and some guy had commented on it saying:

'what your describing is not really bipolar, it's manic depression.... two completely different mental illnesses. bipolar's rather tricky to describe. the most obvious symptoms are narcissism, inappropriate moods/behaviors, recklessness/fearless, and some symptoms that are common but not always present are sexual promiscuity, hallucinating, hearing voices and coming off as a real nut job so to speak. manic depression is more cycles of mania and depression. depending on what type of manic depression you have, you could suffer from more episodes of mania than depression, vice versa, or a straight up 50/50.'

Has anyone else ever heard/read this sort of thing before?
I found a little funny to be honest, as it seemed quite absurd for someone to think Bipolar and Manic Depression are completely different things.

Speedy

Staff Alumni
Re: People who say Manic Depression and Bipolar Disorder are completely different thi

It sounds like psychobabble to me since I don't know the difference between bipolar disorder and manic depression. :D

I guess if what he/she is saying is false information, then I guess he/she is ignorant in that regard.

houseofcards

Re: People who say Manic Depression and Bipolar Disorder are completely different thi

I've always been told they are the same, manic depression is just the scientific term.

anarulesmenow

They are the same thing. It was originally called Manic Depression, but the name was changed to Bipolar Disorder.

Kaos General

Erm is this thread really asking the difference between bi-polar and manic depression? Their is no difference as Manic Depression was the old name for Bi-polar disorder. Manic depression i guess could be defined as Bi-polar type I

anarulesmenow

Im not asking the difference, as there isn't one. I'm just asking if people have met people who have said there is a difference.

Kaos General

:lol!: they take one look at me and decide its best not to ask such questions as obvious answer is obvious. Sorry i should explain i got diagnosed with bi-polar back when it was still called manic depresssion.

ace

I always thought they were the same thing.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter

They are the same thing. Bipolar is just the new name for manic depression as it supposedly more "politically correct".

SashaJade

I know this woman who says she gets manic depression every few years; But that would mean she is bipolar, which she isn't.

People assume manic depression is acute depression, which it isn't. They are two different things.

Growing Pains

I've seen it a lot. My sister didn't know they were the same thing. People generally assume that manic depression is the same as major depression. (At least, in my experience) However, once I explained it to my sister, she understood. It's not really too hard to realize that manic depression is Bipolar disorder. Frankly, to me it seems it'd be common sense. Since bipolar consists of manic episodes and depression episodes, yeah... seems like it would be common sense.

damage.case

Some people think schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are the same.

bhawk

My old boss thought bipolar disorder wasnt "real" but manic depression was, as already said, bipolar is just the more recent name for manic depression

Crue-K

The diagnosis of Manic Depression officially changed to Bipolar Affective Disorder in 1980 when the DSM-III was published. However when I was first diagnosed in 1993, my psychiatrist called it Manic Depression. I think it was the late 90's when I was told it was now called Bipolar. There is so much ignorance and confusion regarding Bipolar, you just need to read some of the retarded answers on Yahoo Answers website.

Manic depression is a more severe form of bipolar disorder. Cycling usually occurs every month.

anarulesmenow

They are the same thing, although I guess before bipolar came in, manic depression would have meant something like bipolar 1, whereas with bipolar you can get bipolar 2 as well.

anarulesmenow

I personally like the term bipolar, although i would assume that less people know what it means than the term manic depression, which is more obvious. Bipolar assumes there are two poles (extreme mania and extreme depression) and in between these two poles there are many other levels e.g. hypomania, cyclothemia, mixed episodes, normal states etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00