People who self-harm for attention.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Android, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Android

Android Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this and the title, but I used to be friends with a girl who thought "cutting was cool" and would lightly cut herself in obvious places so she would get attention. That sickens me. Does anyone else know someone like this, and do you think maybe the girl has some other issues?

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I do know someone like that and I think it is a sickness. The way I see it they have pain inside and don't know any other way to express it so they leave "evidence" for people to see and notice. It is a sickness but it also distracts from 'true" cutters. I give them attention to an extent but I don't play into the game if you know what I mean...you are right it is bs.

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I think this girl was probably very unhappy...and even if she did it for attention, there's nothing wrong with getting attention, we all need it...we all need support, no matter what we do to get it...I mean this is kind of insulting to read, this could be said of all of us...

4. Gem_Gem

Gem_Gem Well-Known Member

Hey.

I had a friend like that too. She would come to school with like light cuts where everyone could see them and then in the holidays I would see her and she would have no cuts but as soon as we had school again she would start cutting again.

I tried talking to her about it but she just started laughing so I duno, if she had issues but maybe some people do it as a cry for help thats why they make it so obvious me personally would never show anyone I am so ashamed of it but I guess everyone is different.

5. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

i had a friend who did it purely for attention, because i did it, she copies everything i did, even the walk i dress etc, so when she started to lightly scratch her skin, i went and got her help, she got reffered to a psyc and got discharged the first time he saw her as he knew it was for attention and diagnosed her wiht challenging behavioural problems and suggest she did a hobby that gave her attention like drama, because some people do it for attention it can often give a negative stigma to people who it is there only way of coping, just my opinion though.

6. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

There are some people that need the attention. and I don't mean that in a negative way; but sometimes they don't know how else to reach out, or they just need someone to talk to. I'm not saying it's always the case, but that girl might have some other issues that you don't know about.

7. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I don't know anyone that does it and I can't see why you would ever want anyone to know about something like that.

I almost got caught once and it was one of the most scary moments of my life. The thought of doing it just to get caught is just absurd to me, not in a sickened way but more of a "why the hell would you do that?" way.

8. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

She might be doing it for attention but it might be because it's the only way she gets any attention. It might be a cry for help.
    IMO anyone who self-harms, whether it's for attention or not, has some sort of issue/s so I find it a bit mean when people frown on those who do it for attention saying they are not 'true cutters'.

9. Kath123

Kath123 Active Member

Why is attention-seeking sickening? Whatever gets you through your life.

10. brokendoll83

brokendoll83 Active Member

I've known lost of people like that. Some try to out do each other by saying theyre more fucked up than anyone else etc. The worst for me was when a friend asked to use a blade just to cut lightly as a release. I gave it to her, trusting her and she sliced her arm right open in front of everyone. I felt terrible and people blamed me. She only started doing it when she found out I did. I'm not sure what to think about such people, but I do know I got sick of the whole thing. It was dragging me down when I had enough real troubles of my own. Also, I hate people who make up abuse stories etc. It's a terrible thing to live with, not a way to get people to like you!