people who won't help

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by palmtrees, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

I'm tired of people who just tell me to "get out there and do it" like I'm not trying or as if I'm just like them but intentionally choose the wrong decisions. It's not easy to open up to anybody about being depressed or suicidal, even less easy when there's been a series of incompetent, hypocritical, evil fucks who have left me for dead after I tell them.

It's also not easy to ask for any kind of help like "Hey, I can't even go to the fucking grocery store by myself sometimes let alone build up the kind of social life that if I was an average person would just fall into my lap." My own sister, for example, who has like 20 friends and a live-in boyfriend, never calls or invites me over because she's so thoughtless. I'm always the one to call her, and when I do she usually flakes out or just acts like a complete jerk.

These folks must really believe they're doing everything in their power to try and help me, although for the most part they're not doing jack shit. Everybody thinks it's about sucking it up and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and forcing yourself to be normal and happy, even though very few, if any of them have been in this kind of situation, which they think is so easy to deal with.

Fuck that makes me angry.

2. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Most of the general public just haven't got a clue what it's like to be suicidally depressed and don't know how to react when someone tells them that's how they feel. The only ones I've ever come upon who do understand have been people here at sf. Do you get any professional help with regards to how you feel?

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Most people who haven't been there have no idea what depression is like. It isn't something you wake up one morning an decide you aren't going to be anymore. We do understand that here. I am glad you are able to share with us. :hug:

4. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

I get help from a therapist, yes.

I just don't get how anyone can't put themselves in this position because it seems like common sense, especially if you've even read the least bit of information about dealing with depession/suicide. It seems like all most people ever think about is themselves and they don't like the idea of someone taking the attention off of them and having to think about someone else for a change.

The folks here are really sweet and helpful, I appreciate that.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I know exactly what you mean. It's a terrible feeling, isn't it. Especially when they know a little about depression, they still don't get it. That's why I save discussing my feelings for when I see my therapist or the mental health nurse. At least they get it.

6. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

some people do not understand

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I gave up trying to inform people about how I feel along time ago. They just don't get it and find you to be easy prey to use you for their own gain. I have opened up more here on the forum than I have with my therapist. Don't get me wrong she has been a great help to me, but I still hold back some things. I just can't bring my self to talk about with her. I think she realizes that, but she doesn't push you to open up more! You should sit down with a therapist and open up to her/him about the things that are easiest to talk about. Eventually you will open up more once you build that bond of trust with them. Good luck to you and see you around the forum!!~Joseph~

8. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

No everyone knows what depression is because everyone is human, everyone experiences up's and downs. They might not know what serious depression feels like though. If you feel people havn't got time for you and arn't been helpful enough then tell them the reaction you get back probably will determine if they are worth the time of day or not...:rolleyes:

I told a 'friend' about my serious depression who 'didn't give a shit' and after I felt better I realized that he isn't worth the effort to maintain.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.