People who've been depressed "as long as they can remember"

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by lachrymose27, Feb 13, 2011.

1. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

It frightens me to hear from the older members here that they've been depressed since they were 'young'.

Am I also in the same boat? I am young, kind of still, 26... But have been depressed for the last 8 years... Will I ever get better? Is there only one solution for me?
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Each person's journey is different and each person varies in his/her ability to find a resolution, work towards that resolution, and his/her individual problems...please do not use these experiences as an endpost for you...that would limit what you can do without it being your potential...J
  3. lachrymose27

i don't know... i've always tried to be positive... but i am never happy
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Depression has been like life for me, ups and downs.
    Certain things in life have made me happier than I can say and others have depressed the hell out of me.
    It's the way of things I guess.
    Try to hang on to the good times in your mind, they help when times are bad.
  5. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Im 27 and ive been depressed and suicidal for the past 12 years and yeah every single day is a uphill struggle but ive found something to live for. Its all dependant on the individual. Of course some people will inevitably be depressed for years to come because that is the nature of depression but some people who are depressed learn to cope with it and live with it to some degree of normality. Everyone is different though
  6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I think it depends whether they've been treated for that long or was it a non treated depression, I've only been treated with meds the past 5 years...before that it was therapy and it did help me some, but then it wasn't enough....

I'm starting to wonder if were not all depressed from birth...some make it better than others....
  7. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Like the other posts say, it depends on the person and their situations. Sometimes I find myself saying I've been depressed for so long. Or I cant remember the last time I was happy. The depression has a way of making things look so grim. So it feels like its been a lifetime since I have been guenuinely happy. But I know it's the depression and other mental health issues that make it look so black. I have been battling for so long I'm too tired to see anything else right now. But I do keep trying by seeing my therapist and reading books about things that are similiar to my situation. It's never a dead end path. Keep talking hun. Maybe other members might have some coping skills or helpful suggestions about things they have tried. Just always remember you are never alone with this. You have the members here and were are great listeners and sounding boards. You are stil "very" young (I'm 47) so I think you still have tons of opportunities at finding some light on the path your on. :arms:
  8. lachrymose27

thanks everyone. its just that i really want to be happy.. but i never am happy. Or even when I do have moments of satisfaction, i will always drift into depression anyway. I just feel like my depression is holding me back from living... I just need an increase in medicinal dosage, i hope it will put me on the right track.