People?!?!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by wonderer, Dec 16, 2007.

1. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

People can be so incredibly thick and stupid, especially when it come to mental things!!!!
    My freshman year of college, one of my friends from high school told me that she'd been trying to kill herself basically my entire senior year. I was crushed, went to hang out with/talk to one of my college friends who didn't know the girl and would never meet her cuz I was really upset about it. And this girl was like "crazies are scary, I feel bad for you" like knowing this girl was a tragic situation for me. Too many people have that kind of reaction!!!! Just because you're depressed, they act like you're not human anymore, and like you don't have feelings. Like, "oh, he's not happy, he's weird/scary" and then they make fun of the person behind their back!
    Or, "she's just doing it for the attention, little brat, she has nothing to be unhappy about." Or "she just wants to make her parents look bad" or "why can't you just fix yourself?" or "why do you do this to me?" like your depression exists for the purpose of making someone else look bad.
    Even the ones who care and sit there and want to know what they can do to help are still like "well, just fix yourself". They don't get that its not a choice. I didn't choose to be this way. My friends who have attempted/completed suicide didn't choose to feel the way they did. Its like they think we all just woke up one morning and decided to be upset to screw with others, and now just don't like that decision. They don't understand that it hurts, and that its not a choice, and that it has NOTHING to do with them at all!!!! And no one ever bothers to look close enough to see WHY we're hurting, or what they can do. Half of them don't pay enough attention to notice anything's wrong, and of the ones who do, half of them don't get beyond "somethings wrong with that person, thats scary, lets avoid them."
    I am so f'ing ticked off with people and society in general. I almost wanna like... write a book or something, in hopes that it'd give someone some perspective. Anyone, really... Cuz people stink, with their intense narrowmindedness and stuff.

2. __Rawr.Tigga

__Rawr.Tigga Well-Known Member

And the sad thing is... You are totally right in everything you have just said :sad:

People don't understand. They don't see. And that is why they avoid it, because their ignorant and scared, confused and unknowing. They don't know HOW to deal with it, and it's easier to just... avoid it, to ignore the person, than to confront it, look them in the eye, talk to them, and find out what is the matter, and why they are hurting.

Cowardice basically. Fear of the unknown. Scared of change in their narror lives.

^^^^ Sounds harsh but... Don't know how to explain myself better :confused:

Don't know if it really makes sense either :blink:

Meh, nevermind.

Hope you're ok love :hug:

Take care and keep strong,
    Tigga
    x

3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

The ones that are the worst are the ones that try to help only to try and make themselves look better of feel better. Once the major crisis is over, they disappear. Right when you need them to stop yourself from falling again. It can make you feel even worse about yourself. I agree with you . But I think it is the poor education that unfortunately befalls mental health issues. Most people think of mental health to still be like the movies such as One Flew Over The Cuckcoo's Nest. They go by what their parents taught them and that's what the grandparents taught their children. "Crazy people get locked up in assylum and walk around all day pulling invisible things from the air and hurting themselves." "Crazy people end up killing others because of their illness." I'm so sick of mental health issues being left so far behind. Sometime I really think we are not the ones with the mental health issues. It the rest of the world and we are just too smart for them. We understand more than they ever will. And it makes me CRAZY!!!!

4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Yeah..Unfortunately such is the image of people with mental health issues these days..People don't like what they don't understand..You just have to try and not let it bother you. I know that's hard, but I think it's the best thing you can do for yourself..:hug: