People....

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Shogun, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

....can really send you over the edge.

Just by being people.

I was just pretty much treated like a criminal by a medical health professional for not having any friends or family.

I have a operation coming up soon. I'm going under general anaesthetic for the first time in my life and I'm already really nervous about that.

I had to see this woman today who arranges it all and sends me the appointment time and date. She was asking routine questions about my health and the only medication I am on is anti-depressants so everything's okay there. She said I need someone to come and pick me up from the hospital after my procedure. I don't have any family or friends that'd do that for me, so I said there isn't anyone.... how is that MY fault??? She kept repeating herself "well isn't there anyone??" "I can't believe you can't get anyone to come and pick you up" and making this stupid huffing (angry sighing) sound. Then she asked me if I work.... like that's somehow relevant.

Honestly, this went on over and over for about 5 minutes.

Now I'm a nice guy. What I wanted to say was "what do you want me to do.... make people out of thin air that care enough to come and pick me up??" But I thought I'd better rise above it and let her continue her b*tch act alone.

Anyway, after she was done disbelieving I had anyone who cares enough to come and collect me she said "well we can't do the operation if you can't get anyone to collect you." I said "well what if I discharge myself?" She said "yeah that's fine, but you'll have to sign release papers."

So the whole attitude fit was all for nothing.

On the way home (London Underground) I was on a packed train. This woman with a bit of shopping was standing up infront of me. In situations like that I feel kinda guilty that I (as a fit and healthy young man) am sitting in a seat that someone else could probably do with more. So I got up and offered it to her. She looked at me as though I was insane. She eventually sat down without so much as a smile.

I just can't believe how society has deteriorated. I don't remember people being this rude and uppity.[/rant]

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I'm going to come and collect you.
    When is it?

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

:)

I have to wait till they send me an appointment. They reckon it'll be a few weeks.

It's okay though, I can discharge myself. It's just the attitude from someone that has the nerve to call herself a professional that bothered me.

It's people like you that give me faith in humanity though. :cheekkiss:

4. Aurora Gory Alice

It's pretty disgusting. You're a stronger person than me, I would've given her what for! Why do people just assume we all have somebody? Life doesn't work that way. :(

You know I'd be more than happy to come pick you up though. Esp. after an op. I remember what I was like (I think the word that best fitted my state of mind was 'floopy').

5. Aurora Gory Alice

It's pretty disgusting. I hope you gave her what for. Why do people just assume we all have somebody? Life doesn't work that way. :(

You know I'd be more than happy to come pick you up though. Esp. after an op. I remember what I was like (I think the word that best fitted my state of mind was 'floopy').

6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

We'll probably talk before I go in anyway, so we'll see. I really appreciate the offer. :)

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

All the nurse had to do was say you would have to go home by taxi thats all.
    I am sorry you had this experiance some people have poor bedside manners and you just got one. Hopefully next time you will have a more friendly nurse on day of your operation.

8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Apparently you can't go home by taxi.

I know, it sounds strange to me too, but that's the rules.

Thing is, if you've had a few hours rest, you should be back to your senses and stuff, right? I mean hours after the anaesthetic wears off.

The only way they'll let me out is if I discharge myself. She must've known discharging myself is an available option, so I just don't get the attitude.

9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

It's a power trip, mind game, ego thing for people like that. I'm the nurse here. I'm in charge here. You will jump when I say jump and dont even think about asking how high. It's unfortunate that as part of the hiring process the hospitals cant give an oral bedside manner test. Ooops I'm so sorry but it seems to failed in the How to Be Human to Others part of the test good luck next time (lol).

But in their defense the hospital is only trying to cover it's own asses or more likely their own assets. They cant have people leaving the hospital unaccompanied in case there is a relapse or side effect from the procedure and meds from such. Today the hospitals are whisking people in and out like loaner books from a library. Not so long ago when you had a baby it was, especially for your first one, not unusual to stay 4 - 7 days after the birth. In that time new Moms were taught basic care and needs of the baby and had time to become accustomed to this new little life. Now it isnt unheard that within 24 hrs of the birth the mom is at home. And then they wonder why so many new moms are crushed under the pressure of their new responsibilities. Not a chance to get any sound advice or support or to make arrangements for some in home support once they get their with the baby.

After a day-op procedure, they dont want to keep you there for proper observation but rather send you home and make it someone elses responsibility. There are too many people that are in your shoes hun. Sometime we dance to the music alone, not being able to have a hand there to hold on to. And I'm certain the hospitals understand that. You just lucked into a nurse that gets someting out of making you confirm you're alone. I dont understand why the hospitals cant make something available to the public. My God, you can take your car in for servicing and most dealerships now have a "shuttle" that will get you around while your vehicle is in for repair. But for humans?

As for the bus, that too is unfortunately becoming the norm. Too many people are too busy with their own little lives to see the world around them. Too selfish to think of others for a few seconds. Too many have such little respect for themselves that they couldnt show a little respect and compassion to another soul. Hun you were trying to be sane in an insane world. You and I and others like us are very quickly becoming a minority in the world. But I wont give up on trying. Let them look at me as insane. I much more prefer to be "insane" than to conform to the new rules that society seems to be too ready to accept.

Whoops, ranting, my bad. Hun I hope that your procedure goes well. And you have someone that is willing to pick you up, so that should make your mind rest a little easier. Dont give up on all mankind yet. It would appear all the good ones are hiding around here (lol). Good luck.

10. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

My friend.. As a senior nurse and an SF member, I want to apologise for my colleagues conduct..No one should endure that sort of grilling and if they were a nurse at my trust I would tell them so..

If you still need someone to collect you post op, then pm me..I will do everything in my power to be there..Also if you need any information regarding anesthetics or what you are going to go through, again just drop me a line (I work in theatres and recovery)..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.