Perfectionist Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hache, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I have decided to diagnose myself with an Obsessive Maladptive Perfectionist Disorder :unsure:

Pretty much through some words together there :p

Anyway I think it is the route of my problems. When most people think of a perfectionist they think of someone who strives for excellence and to better something, someone with a drive to be perfect. They say a healthy perfectionist has drive, an unhealthy perfectionist is driven. I'm the latter.

Someone in chat once told me I was a perfectionist after I told them about my life and what is getting me down. What causes it, what I want. This was a while a go, but I've decided to look into it more, read some psychology background.

What I want is something instant, I am not driving to get there, I am brought down by not being there. This is the unhealthy maladaptive side.

I am constantly worried about others perception of me, I want to be perfect, seen as perfection. It makes me insecure when I am not feeling ok. I constantly seek sympathy and affirmation when I'm online! Both here and on msn with people I know personally.

My self esteem is taking a battering because I do not have the things I want, I value myself on success rather than who I am, career success, money, love. I cannot stand being 2nd best, in my mind, just being in a room of people, meeting people, I am constantly trying to think of myself as better than them, how I can be this, if i dont feel it my self esteem will be shot.

I can go into more detail, and will later when I remember the things I thought about this morning. But I just had to start a thread for now.

There is nothing online that gives me hope I can get over it, no strategies that I think I can do, a lone mainly, actual therapy may be the only solution but I cannot get that.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're suffering from black and white thinking. If it's not brilliant, it's dreadful and there is no middle ground, no inbetween and 'normal' will never do.
  4. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Paranoid - Low
    Schizoid - Low
    Schizotypal - Moderate
    Antisocial - Low
    Borderline - Very High
    Histrionic - High
    Narcissistic - Moderate
    Avoidant - High
    Dependent - High
    Obsessive-Compulsive - Moderate