Permanently medicated...

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Lady of Shalott, May 6, 2008.

1. Lady of Shalott

Lady of Shalott Active Member

I made the colossal mistake of going to a psychiatrist today and letting my mother get involved. He prescribed drugs and I never touch those things. Now I'm having a tug-of-war with my mom about it, which is just what I needed.

My question is, has anyone ever really taken these drugs only, as my psychiatrist indicated, as a transitional thing? Has anyone ever come off the drugs successfully and found they were emotionally well? Or know anyone who has?

I have this awful feeling in my gut that the drugs are just a facade to cover up the source of all the pain and never be able to suss it out, and that the reality is not what the shrink told me. I don't trust or believe him. I don't know any person who has ever come off of the drugs and been well.

2. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

It all depends, what kind of drugs were prescribed and for what purpose?

You speak of a medication offered for transition, this gives me the impression of chemicals meant to trigger a patient to take new actions and change previously reinforced habits. Such medications are not end-all solutions in most scenarios. Often the hope is that the patient will get a new jump-start on their life, and will gradually taper off the drugs once they've successfully transitioned and are comfortable with new behavior and routines. Some people benefit.. personally I didn't benefit much from prescriptions, at least not in the way advertised or expected. In my experience, even the 'fun' medications have been tempting vices rather than helpful tools. I'm disciplined enough to control my intake of addictive drugs, but that doesn't mean others will be. Still, the majority of drugs I've used were simply ineffective or had undesirable side effects overall. I believe there are healthier alternatives to medications in most situations.
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i look on medication as just one tool that helps me out, i also use talk therapy, group therapy, meditation and exercise. do you still live at home or are you under 18? i wonder why you would have your mother involved in your decisions. it's your body and your health, after all.

what else are you prepared to do to address 'the source of all the pain' as you write. i think you are right, unless we untangle the source we are bound to end up repeating the past.
  4. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I have been on medication for the better part of 9 years. I recently stopped it because of unterable side effects but am soon to start back on some sort of medication, although I dont want to. I find that the medications are addictive (which they swear they are not). If I miss a dose or come off them without starting another I have withdraw symptoms and cant function for a short time.. I guess it depends on what you need the medication for ruther you will come of it to lead a normal and happy life. Im bipolor with psychosis and both are lifelong illnesses..
  5. Broken Wings

Broken Wings Well-Known Member

I was the same way. But I just gave up. No point fighting what might help. My doc says that I can come off the pills 6 months to a year after I show no symptoms.

I know two people from over the internet who don't take meds anymore. One is a very happy person now, the other takes 'herbal remidies'.

Good luck. You should take the pills if your doc thinks it'll help, I think (now...)
  6. Lady of Shalott

Lady of Shalott Active Member

I was told the drugs were to "get me to the table" because, in the shrinks words, I was on the floor and not even capable of helping myself and the drugs would "get me to the table". He also told me I would have to take them at least for 3-5 years, so merely getting to the table is like a lifetime in itself.

I can't remember what the drug's name was, but I see it as just adding another problem to my already too-long list of emotional problems. A few of the reasons for my objections to drugs for depression were already mentioned by some posters. The last thing I need, for example, is another thing to get addicted to, or to be dependent on to just live.

I don't believe that an ailment of the mind, heart or soul can be cured with medication for the body and I have found a few things I want to try, but my mother and, frankly, everyone else who knows about my situation is harrassing me to go on drugs and I feel like I'm surrounded by evil scientists trying to kill my spirit and join their legion of the living dead. (ok, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea)

The reason I'm at my mother's (who is also paying for my treatment) is because at the end of March I began to have a breakdown while in North Africa. I quit my job (located in Europe) and proceeded to then fall on the treacherous sidewalks of the country where I was and break my foot just a week before I had to leave the country. This foiled my plan to kill myself after leaving North Africa (the ability to walk without crutches and to be independent was a pre-requisite for carrying out the plan). I left North Africa with a cast on my foot and ended up sleeping in airports a few nights (I had no residence). Anyway, I arrived last week back at my mother's in the home of my adolescence and here I am, looking for some serious treatment. I feel quite optimistic about the spiritual alternatives I have found to deal with my crappy past and the source of my "major depression," but I am keeping a lot of it a secret from my mother and trying to get her off the shrink and drugs idea without her retaining a bad feeling towards me about it. I decided I am not taking any drugs and I told her I don't want to see the shrink again. The latter will require more insistance because she really wants me to see the shrink again...she should be happy, the shrink charges nearly 3x what one of my alternative therapist choices costs, and mine works and the shrink doesn't.

So that's that.