Permission?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ignored, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

My gp told me to go ahead and burn myself if it helps :evil: :fire: Well, to be fair it was rather than do anything more drastic but still never been given such vehement permission before. :unsure: Ach well, certainly don't need much encouragement so I shall burn baby, burn.

2. helena

helena Staff Alumni

:hug:....
    though I think it's sad, such advice; if it's that or something worse, I just hope you go easy on you....
    Stay safe dear, if there's anything I can do for you just let me know.
    :hug:

3. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

i don't think its permission. many people subscribe to harm minimisation.
    it is also about self responsibility..
    for many people harming reduces suicide/ attempts so has its place even if it is an act of self hate ultimately. that was the attitude in the places i have worked ( uk mental health projects ) apart from one where they said sh was a no no... that was the place that ironically had the most cos saying you cannot do it does not work.

4. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Charming! :dry: A bit unprofessional of your doctor to say such a thing. :hug:

5. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

sad to say it really doesn't surprise me one bit :eek:hmy:

Lea :hug:

6. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

to be honest, i don't think your doctor should have said that.
    true, if it's a substitue for something more harmful then yes, it can help.
    but if that's all your doctor said then you shouldn't take it as permission, even though i know it's very easy to rely on that to stop you feeling bad afterwards.
    sorry to state the obvious, but burning isn't good - it can be worse that cutting as it damages the skin differently and takes longer to heal in many cases.
    hun, please try not to hurt yourself... i may be hypocritical by saything this, but find something else to help you... there are distractions all over the place, and you can always talk to people here. if you ever need to talk, don't hesitate to PM me okay :heart:
    laura x

7. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take it as encouragement but i understand why you would interpret it that way. Sometimes we go to health professionals wanting them to really care and make it all okay, but in reality they're just like us they and don't have much of a clue! I hope that coupled with this 'advice' she offered you some other therapy/treatment though? Even a charity based one would be enough. Sometimes it is obvious we're not gonna stop, besides it could have been worse, she could have given you the chapter and verse on stopping burning without offering you any help to do so. :dry:

8. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Actually, to be fair, she is really lovely. Just at a bit of a loss what to do with me in the face of my hyper suicidal mood. My arms are a mess of burns already which are hurting like mad but it's not enough at the moment... self destruct button firmly on. :dry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.