personal bonds with people

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by onenineteen, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onenineteen

onenineteen Antiquities Friend

It's been a while since I was here so I don't quite know how to start but here goes.

I've been fighting my depression for some time now, and although i'm on lexapro it still comes and goes. My problem (one of many) is I've been having trouble connecting with people. I small talk with many people but I just don't know how make any emotional connection. For this reason I have alot of acquaintances but no friends. I just can't seem to get any more personal with people. Online, in a support forum, it would seem this is easy but it's too difficult for me to make a simple post. I'm never sure what's right to say when. I'm not even sure what makes a friend anymore. :sad:

Does this sound familiar to anyone? :huh:

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well you did it :smile:

And you don't always have to know what to say. Especially here.

I never had emotional connections with people until I started to be more open and honest with myself. Maybe as you share more with us, or whomever, about what's going on with you, you'll begin to open up more to people around you and make some real friendships
    :hug:

3. amicrazy

amicrazy Well-Known Member

that sounds all too familiar. i am the same way, entirely. i get along well with everyone, but never really become friends with anyone. and the rare instances when i think a friendship is forming, i quickly remember how everyone sucks, everyone will fuck you, whatever the reason. Always using people, being used, letting myself be used. it's easier and a lot less stressful to stay as acquaintances. i do sometimes wish i could have that 'special bond' with someone, but is it worth it?

4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Being online and on a forum like this is probably a good place to start since you are more likely to find people who can relate to you as well as other things.

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Thousand miles starting with the first step...that you did...intimacy, for many ppl is difficult because of the level of vunerablity one must have...there are ways to 'practice' this by finding someone who you can trust and telling him/ her some things about yourself...as you feel safer in the relationship, revealing yourself on a deeper level becomes less overwhelming...why not start here and reveal something about yourself to someone you trust in a PM? this will be a rehearsal for disclosing information about yourself in the real world...best of luck, and big hugs, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.