Personal details about abortions soon required to be kept public, online, in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hae-Gi, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

In Oklahoma, a new state law will take effect on the 1st of November that requires the public, online posting of personal information of everyone who has an abortion.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/10/08/oklahoma-abortion-online/

So much for medical records supposed to be kept private. Depends on who it's about, as always.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Re: Personal details about abortions soon required to be kept public, online, in Okla

I'm guessing a lot of Oklahomans will be going out of state for abortions... I hope that gets shut down pretty hard by a court.

3. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Re: Personal details about abortions soon required to be kept public, online, in Okla

I'm pretty sure that such a measure will be challenged in federal court. It'd be no different than publishing information on who has HIV/AIDS or something. Something like that is an obvious violation of private law.

4. whiskeylullaby

whiskeylullaby Well-Known Member

it also says that names/addresses won't be included, don't get me wrong, it's still a gross invasion of privacy, and I don't quite see how it dosesn't violate HIPPA laws (not to mention the 14th amendment)...but it doesn't sound like they'll be saying "Jane Doe had an abortion on this date" I don't imagine any court will let that law stand though.

5. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

It makes me feel so angry that I won't tell exactly what I think about the people..... But it starts with an F

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Hmm, it seems the intent of the law is to effectively bypass Roe v. Wade - public data on abortions combined with a very real threat of abortion-related violence could very easily intimidate potential aborters... That actually bodes well for the death of the law, as that's another major precedent against it. I really hope the ACLU jumps on this one before it's made law.

7. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

LOL such a waste of money, this will get knocked down. I do not think it violates hippa directly but with small towns it will EASILY be able to see who got the abortion. Come on...

1. Date of abortion
    2. County in which abortion performed
    3. Age of mother
    4. Marital status of mother
    (married, divorced, separated, widowed, or never married)
    5. Race of mother
    6. Years of education of mother
    (specify highest year completed)
    7. State or foreign country of residence of mother
    8. Total number of previous pregnancies of the mother
    Live Births
    Miscarriages
    Induced Abortions

They going to give out shoe size too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.