Personality disorder anyone?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by libra, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libra

libra Active Member

Does anyone suffer from a personality disorder? I've been recently diagnosed and am still struggling to understand and manage it!

2. MessengerFromHell

MessengerFromHell Well-Known Member

I have bipolar

3. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

i have borderline personality disorder

4. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

There are different classifications of psychiatric disorders. These classifications include: Anxiety Disorders, Dissociative Disorders, Eating Disorders, Factitious Disorders, Impulse-Control Disorders, Mental Disorders Due to a General Medical Condition, Neurocognitive Disorders, Mood Disorders, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Personality Disorders, Psychotic Disorders, Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders, Somatoform Disorders, and Substance Related Disorders. (quoted from http://psychology.about.com/od/psychotherapy/tp/list-of-psychological-disorders.htm )

Bipolar and Borderline are in two different classifications, though I will say are frequently perceived as either close to the same thing or exactly the same thing unless the differences are pointed out. I do not take anything away from Bipolar sufferers, as that is a very harsh disorder as well... just pointing out it is completely separate from Personality Disorders on the whole.

Personality Disorders:

Cluster A (Odd, bizarre, eccentric)

Paranoid PD, Schizoid PD, Schizotypal PD

Cluster B (Dramatic, erratic)

Antisocial PD, Borderline PD, Histrionic PD, Narcissistic PD

Cluster C (Anxious, fearful)

Avoidant PD, Dependent PD, Obsessive-compulsive PD

(quoted from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201205/the-10-personality-disorders)

Mood Disorders:

Bipolar disorder
    Major depressive disorder
    Cyclothymic disorder

(quoted from http://psychology.about.com/od/psychotherapy/tp/list-of-psychological-disorders.htm)

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have borderline personality disorder, but I am able to manage and cope with it with the help from psychiatrist,family and doctor. What personality disorder were you diagnosed with?

6. pasd

pasd Member

Personality disorder is an overarching term that encompasses anything from situational depression to paranoid schizophrenia. Frankly, I think almost every person has experienced a "personality disorder" at some points in life. It's about being human and feeling. In noe way do I mean to diminish the experiences of others with severe mental illness, but anyone who has seen a therapist has some kind of medical code assigned to their medical bill under the VERY broad term "personality disorder". Frankly, I think it means you are human, and that you are capable of feeling deeply. That can be a gift and a curse. But I think "feeling" life is a hell of a lot better than being numb to it. It is important for you to learn and understand what "personality disorder" you have been diagnoses with so educate your self and work with your mentail health professional to understand who you are. You are gonna be just fine.

7. libra

libra Active Member

bpd & ptsd. ive had so much work and yet things are still the same if not worse. at one point i didnt think i could try any harder and i did for my children. i cant keep slipping up in such dramatic and troubling ways for them. they are still young but have already been affected by it. im stuck fed up and feel that there isn't anyone to help. if there isn't then i need to release my partner and children and let them live and enjoy life

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.