Petal's Weight Loss Support Group - Low Calorie Recipes

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Freya, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I started this thread in the group - but it is really hard to post recipes there that stick to the 1000 character count - so I am restarting it here. Anyone who is doing Petal's "Lose a stone by xmas" challenge - or indeed anyone who isn't - share your low calorie/healthy recipes here.

The more the merrier - anyone who has a low cal recipe - even if you are not trying to lose weight yourself. WE WANT YOUR RECIPES!! (Especially you Petal!) Thanks :) :)

My first contribution:

Bacon, Leek & Mushroom Pasta - 500 Calories (roughly)

I shop at Sainsbury's in the UK - I assume you can find things that are similar in other places

For a single serving I use:

Boil the pasta. While the pasta is boiling, fry the sliced leeks, chopped bacon and mushrooms in low calorie spray.
    Drain the pasta and throw in the fried leek, bacon and mushroom.
    Over a low heat, add the low fat crème fraiche and cheddar and stir in until everything is hot.
    Tip into a bowl and eat.

The whole thing is 500 calories (roughly - this is dependent on the crème fraiche - the type I use is 20 cals per tbsp) and the calorie content of the cheese (low fat isn't uniform on calories across brands) but either way it is yummy and filling and fast (15 mins start to finish so its great for when you get in from work or wherever :) ).

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Bolognese Pasta Bake - 500 Calories Each (Serves 2)

You need:

• 140g Pasta Shapes of Choice (I personally like small shells they kinda "fill" with the sauce better than any other shape imo)
    • 200g Turkey Mince (Try not to use pure turkey breast mince - even though this has fewer calories, it is DRY and doesn't taste as good)
    • 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes (you can chop your own fresh if you like but I prefer to use tinned)
    • 1 Small Onion - Chopped
    • 1 Small Courgette (zucchini for US types) chopped
    • 1 Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper - Chopped
    • 100g (or more/less as you please) mushrooms - chopped
    • 50g low fat mozzarella cheese - thinly sliced.
    • Italian herbs and seasoning - and garlic to taste. I love this spice blend

Fry the onion. mince and mushrooms until browned and tip in the tinned tomatoes, courgette, bell peppers and spices - mix together and simmer.
    Heat the oven to 200c/390f
    Boil the pasta until just cooked (still a bit of bite) while the sauce is simmering.
    Drain the pasta and chuck it in an oven proof dish - mix in the sauce - top with mozzarella slices.
    Put in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese is all melty and lovely.

Serve - eat - enjoy :) (Normally I would eat this with a ton of garlic bread but that is SOOOO not good for calories :( )

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Great recipes hun as I love pasta. I will only eat the wholemeal pasta, which more or less tastes the same but it is much better for you! You have added a great contribution, thank you so much!!

A recipe I love is chicken and vegetable skewers, your butcher should have skewers handy.

Cut up 2 chicken fillets and add to the skewer, cut up red/green/yellow bell peppers and mushrooms, add to the skewers, add any low cal sauce to them, I personally like piri piri sauce and pour on the skewers. Quite simple really just leave the skewers (wet the skewers before adding the ingredients to prevent them from burning) in the oven for about 30 minthen serve with a garden salad and sweetcorn yummy!

Chicken and vegetable skewers

1 Wet the skewers.
    2 Pre-heat oven.
    3 Cut the chicken into small pieces but big enough to use on skewers.
    4 Wash the vegetables, the peppers and mushrooms!
    5 Add both the chicken and vegetables on skewers with a sauce of your choice for 30 mins on about 180.
    6 Let stand for 5 minute and enjoy with a garden salad.

For fullness add with 1 baked potato or a portion of brown rice.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Oh and freya hun I've got news for you, you're going on a brisk 20-30 minute walk today :D