Pets & their therapeutic effects

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Zooty, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zooty

Zooty Active Member

I wanted to post this in the resources forum but there i dont think it will reach as much of the community so ive posted it here (mods feel free to move it) I'm sure it will have been coverd before but its something that i feel needs more exposure.

Pets seem to have a very therapeutic effect on people i guess it is having to care for something and having responcibility and a purpose.

My family own 2 dogs and when i can i try to walk them in the same places that my family do as i live within an urban area there is a community of dog walkers and they dont often recognise me but the dogs and will come and talk to me i dont have anything in common with them but the human interaction ii even only talking about the weather is always welcome. it kind of restores a persons faith in humanity that people are friendly despite not even knowing you.

If you dont own a dog chances are a neighbour or friend does and you can always volunteer to walk them even under the premise that you want to have a healthier life style and having a dog to keep you company on the walk will keep you motivated.

I guess what im getting at is animals can be a good relief from depression does anyone else have any stories of how pets have helped?

2. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Theres been many a time that I've just held my Jack Russell female and cried. And when she comes wiggling up to me because shes heard me crying, its goes so deep into my heart that I couldn't leave her. The same as i felt when me kids were babies.
    kD

3. thebrain

thebrain Well-Known Member

Same with my German Shepherd. I miss him more than the rest of my family when I'm away from home (which is most of the year, since I go to school out-of-state). I call him my little brother, and that's really what he is.

4. _Twitch_

_Twitch_ New Member

Whenever I cry, my dogs walk up to me and lay next to me.

5. peach333

peach333 Member

I had a cat who would sleep with me every night and she was always there when I cried. I just loved cuddling with her and petting her. But now since I moved out from my parents house I couldn't bring her with me ): But pets are very therapeutic.

6. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I rely heavily on the unconditional love of my two dogs. They aren't aware that my unemployment is the reason that the one dog is still lame and the other is still blind, cause I can't afford the surgeries necessary to bring them back to good health. And even if they were aware of my financial situation they would still love me and wouldn't blame me or 'yell' at me about it, the way children often do.

I need my dogs more than they need me. I need them to remind me that I have a purpose in life, even if it's just to care for them. That is enough to suit me. I can stay alive just cause I will not abandon my dogs. My kids have another parent if I were not here to care for them, but my dogs don't have anyone else. So I stay alive to care for and love my dogs.

Thank God for giving me my dogs. They are the most loving and forgiving beings I've ever known.

7. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I have 2 dogs who I love to bits :biggrin:

I always try & make a conscious effort not to let my depression affect them sadly that's not always the case. On my bad days I have no motivation to take them out so my fiance usually takes them away to his parents & that just makes me worse.

Overall though I find them therapeutic, they have helped me lots of times.

I wish they were here now, I could really be doing with them at the moment. My fiance took them to his parents & I won't see them till tomorrow...I miss them :sad:

C xx

8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I loved my dog heaps and I miss him every day. He was therapeutic, so caring, lovable and the hugs were awesome. When I was sad he'd be there I actually used to talk to him too and he'd stare into my eyes and it felt like we had a connection, he was my best friend, but he died earlier this year. :(

I still have my hamster, little Snuggles, but as much as I love Snuggles, he's not the same as my good ol' dog.

9. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Resistance, I know what you mean. I have other pets but my dogs are my primary reason for staying alive. I am so depressed today, and it's getting worse, but I must stay alive for my dogs. I must.

10. ZundertowZ

ZundertowZ Well-Known Member

my fuckin evil ex took my baby lucy and i havent seen her in 4 months im guessing i will never see her again! i miss her!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.