Pettiness (Possibly triggering)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Krem, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

I find it queer that people will say that it's sad when some teenager kills himself, or dies in a car crash, or lands in an accident. They speak of it like it's a great tragedy. Or that people who can't afford to go to the movies or pay for their second car are poor. They speak as if there're not things happening which are thousand times worse.

Have they never heard of, say, Africa? South-America? China? India? People are STARVING there. Not just "I'm hungry" starving, but actual "I've not eaten in days, and I will die soon, for I have no food" starving. People are POOR there. Not the "I can't afford a new watch" poor, but "I don't own anything except this torn cloak I stole from a dead guy". People there suffer from real crimes, on a large scale. They don't get mugged- They get murdered and raped. They get their villages burnt down, their family mutilated for fun, their daughters raped in front of them and then killed.

But, you may think, those're third world countries, and thus don't matter. Well, I say to you, A) You're a bad person, and B) These things also happen with us "civilised" people. Have you seen a homeless, starving person? There's quite a few of them in the US. Many of them need medical care, too. They lie there, in the street, hoping discarded newspapers will keep them warm for the night, and that nobody will stab them for them while they sleep.

But, nah. That our computer isn't working is terrible. We complain that we got late to work because of traffic, and our boss yelled at us. Or that out birthday parties didn't go as we wished of them. Or maybe your spouse isn't all that interested in us. How terrible our lives are.

We're petty, and should be ashamed of ourselves. Just by reading this, you're better off than ~80% of all humans on the planet.

2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it makes us petty. Perhaps it is just a show of how ignorant we are to the things around us?
    Because you cannot say that truly horrible things that are happening are truly horrible without having seen it first hand - so things that are only a slight let down may seem truly horrible to someone when really they are not at all.
    It's all about perspective.

People feel things differently.
    We're visual creatures. Most people do not feel bad for a person who is homeless until they have a homeless person infront of them.
    It does not make them petty; it makes them human.

3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

bubble worlds. Thats my view on it. People only look as far in certain depths, and exclude other things as out of their control or influence or care. Societies are a bubble in themselves, what happens outside our society is not so important in the priorities.

I mean the general definition of being young is to live and have fun, grow up get married, have a good job have kids yadda yadda. But when that general accepted society concept is interrupted by death or disaster, a reaction happens in dispair or whatever. Some people only care about disasters in their society via pre-programmed responces. "Oh that's horrible." "I feel so sorry for their family" 2 minutes later, whats on tv. To comprehend the suffering of the world? It doesn't work for people. You can't care about what colour wall to paint your home if you truly include the concept that there are people in the world who don't have walls to live in. I mean apply that to death disaster suffering luxery profit lust desire enjoyment whatever. People work in a containted controllable environment, and a teenagers death is a controllable situation of responce vs the suffering of the world in detail.

Thats how I look at it. Ive got a hangover so if its rushed and gernealized oh well.

4. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

We're not petty, we're mostly just ignorant and too preoccupied with our own lives and troubles to worry about what's going on on the other side of the world. Rape, murder, mugging; that all happens in other countries too. There are bad places in our society where those things can be just as likely to happen, so it's not like those kind of things only go on in third world countries. Taxes, dangers, recession.. it all effects us, and if we don't keep mindful of it we could easily end up as one of those homeless people on the streets. Our world is a lot different to those in third world countries -- we may have a roof over our heads and food on our plates, but it takes hard work and careful spending to keep things that way.

As for the homeless people, thing with them is you have to watch what you give them. It's all good and well giving them money to help them off their feet, etc., but chances are a fair few of them will just blow it on alcohol or gambling, or whatever vices may have contributed to their living conditions. I know it's awful that a lot of people just walk right on past them, but it's kinda like a survival thing.. we have to look out for ourselves, or else next thing you know you're one of those people living on the streets. I agree that richer people should probably do a bit more to improve conditions, including perhaps governments, but just because they don't doesn't make them petty, it just makes them ignorant and slightly selfish.

I don't think we're bad people for looking after ourselves and enjoying life. It may make us a lot of things, but it certainly doesn't make us bad.

5. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

More hedonistic I'd say than petty.

6. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Probably because it happens to those around us, those who are part of our communities, in our society that we built and live in. Africa, Asia, South America we are not seeing and experiencing their problems other than the odd advert of a starving child, if you saw a child starving on the streets of the UK most of us would immediately do something about it.

I do not want to sound evil but the people in Africa are not in our lives. That sounds terrible and is probably wrong but it is how it works.

7. dreams4life

dreams4life Well-Known Member

I agree with you. We all exaggerate our problems. We all have a tendency to find something wrong in our lives rather than be grateful. For those suffering in other countries, their main goal is survival. For us it is how we look, dress or what other's think about us. It is time to change our views.

8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Damn straight we're what you consider to be petty. We were born and raised in a country and culture where our norms and standards of living are conditioned into us as something completely different. We haven't been exposed to the destitution experienced by, say, a malnourished Ethiopian child due to famine (at least not on a frequent or regular basis and in such large numbers), because we aren't raised in a society that experiences famine as a normal part of everyday life. So of course we find it harder to relate to people who don't have mattresses to sleep on, or aren't surrounded by four walls and a ceiling; shit, people are living in trees in certain places and their idea of pizza-night is a mudpie -- yes, made from mud, as in wet dirt.

But hell, let's not forget that many of our great grandparents did experience this shit right here in America, when most of them were living between three trees in the woods and walking barefoot on dirt roads, that is, when they weren't slaving to death to provide a luxurious livelihood to rich, white, and gloating European slaveowners. But at least our great grandparents did grow, hunt, and kill their own food and cooked it on an open flame. They made their own clothes to protect them from the elements. Some of them managed to learn to build their own dwellings. They didn't wait for anyone to serve them anything and were completely self-sufficient.

So of course we're relatively spoiled. We should be for all the hell our ancestors went through to make our norms and standard of living NOT what they had to go through. And thanks to them, we can look forward to a comfortable lifestyle and not be exposed to the abject generational poverty of overpopulated areas like India. We live in a country of around 300 million people, not billions.So yes, we do bitch and have a pissfit when we walk out the door looking like a peasant or can't pay the light bill so ave to risk burning the place down by using candles, because we're not raised to be conditioned to having to do that everyday.

There are always going to be worse conditions we can compare ourselves to; even the poorest in the world technically "could be worse-off so should be grateful". But anyway, I agree and always remember how blessed I am to still have my vision or mobility or a mattress to sleep on and food in my stomach.

9. Just_a_guy

Just_a_guy Well-Known Member

I can say ive thought about the exact same thing recently and wholeheartedly agree with you. I think most people in advanced countries simply cant grasp the idea what is really going on in the world today. Media doesnt often show how terribly most people in the world are living and people get detached, and when something sad like a teenager suicide happens the media is all over it.

Usually when some well knows celebrity or somesuch person dies and people are "sad" over it i say "Why the hell are you sad over someone, who lived a long, rich and a happy life dying?".

Also, keeping in mind the fact that no matter how crappy i might feel there is allways someone who is in a lot worse situation than i am makes me feel better for some weird reason, cant really explain how.

10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

You don't have enough empathy to care about many people at all. You MUST only care about those close to you... You'll probably still get your heart broken regularly.

And it's bad news to worry about things you can't control.

11. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

oie, before you try to fix third world countries, why not look at your own country...there are people who starve here as well...some are mentally ill and can't afford the meds so they live in the street...

children being abused daily, switched from foster home to foster home with nothing but the clothes on their backs, some rarely eat and get nothing! NOTHING! no clothes, no toys, no books, no allowance, no toiletries...

do you know what it's like to have shoes with holes in them and a winter jacket that's old, with holes and too tight for you and you have to go through winter like that...when you get sick you get no meds...you go to school hungry as hell watching others eat...you're always borrowing school supplies from others because your (foster) parents are too pathetic to buy you anything...to not being allowed to wash yourself...

girls are sold to older men for sex, there's incest and sexual abuse...

we have LOADS of people like that in our own country, but america is so typical, they'd rather go blind to this and go help poor countries far away who might not live a luxurious life, and yes suffer...but helping out the neighbor when your own family is sick, is nonsense and fake..."Oooh look at me, I help third world country, look how important and caring I am" yeah don't make me puke...the grass is greener on the other side syndrome...

12. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

..which, if you'd've finished reading the post, you'd've seen I mentioned it.

13. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I find the proposed 'solutions' to all the problems people cry about to be infuriating far more than the crying itself. People were so busy crying over 9/11 they forgot to realize taking my shoes off at the airport won't solve anything. People cry so hard when that Indian train derails they don't realize what they should do is hire a rail engineer to go give them more stringent security protocol.

Hell, the BP oil spill had people crying so much they didn't hear Holland offer to, FOR NO COST TO THE US, pick up ~95% of the oil with their previously concocted method with ships that were already equipped to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.