Philosophical contemplation

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by PQRSpqrs, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PQRSpqrs

PQRSpqrs New Member

I have lived a pretty colorful life in my 18 years of existence, times of troubles, times of joys, ups and downs, like anyone. Over the last few years something has begun to drive me, something many call the “plight of the philosopher,” with the ongoing self questioning about every aspect of life. This is the reason I came her and am posting my first post here and now.

For years I have contemplated suicide. Not in the way that it is normally contemplated, but more in a philosophical way. There are nights like tonight, when I will go to bed at 10ish, and still be up at 6 (the time right now) and the entire time I would be thinking about this very subject. It is a strange thing really, because I am no way near suicidal, yet I cannot get it off of my mind.

It is a contemplation that involves many things, factors like, would I be able to do it? is there a life that is bad enough as such that suicide would be justified? How would I know when that was? Have I not already experienced that? In a state of nature, is it really a conflict of human nature, or purely animal instinct to survive? If it is purely animal instinct then wouldn’t the human ability of cognitive thought be supportive of suicide? If the state can decide that someone should not exist in form of life, then why is it that the human themselves cannot decide that they should not exist in form of life?

Well… these questions go on and on… I just have contemplated these questions for so long, and so I figure that maybe talking to someone about them may be able to shed some personal light.

also, if this is an inappropriate discussion for this board and it needs to be moved I apoligize...ill pull the newbee card :biggrin:

2. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

At a philosophical standpoint I would ask whether somebody thinks suicide is right under any circumstance. There are two answers to this question, yes & no, some people will say that it is wrong under any circumstance and others will think self-termination is acceptable under certain circumstances. I would present an extreme example, say if you was paralysed from the neck down and need constant care, if you was in pain, had nobody who loves you, and really had the worst conditions of life you could think of, would euthanasia be acceptable then.

When it is established that there is a point at which life no longer becomes worth living then it is just a case of setting the criteria. What constituents a poor quality of life, it is down to the individuals interpretation. When is this point reached, in my case I am going to lose my home and end up homeless and unable to take care of myself. I have no job, I am socially inadequate, no money just lots of debt, no friends and nobody to love me. I just feel like I'm existing in this world, I have failed because of my depression & social anxiety. I think people will make the decision when they think all hope is lost for a decent life. A lot of it comes down to pride in the end. People generally don't want to die deep down, but they take the honourable path, in Japan it is not taboo but part of their culture. Death is due to the failed interactions in society, feelings of hopelessness, being worthless, feeling inadquate, shame, etc.

Here is somebody elses story who took their own life, maybe if you read it you will get some of the insight you are looking for into this philosophical dilemma that people face.

Eric Keller's story

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

The thing about philosophical contemplation is that it often depends a lot on our circumstances. For example, different philosophies come about depending upon whether there is a air of optimism or pessimism in society, and are based on the beliefs and ideas held by society at that time.

On a personal level, my thoughts about suicide change a lot depending upon whether I am going through times of difficulty or periods of calm. I reach conclusions, but several months later those conclusions may change, because I've changed. We all change. You are not the same person today that you were yesterday.

I'm not trying to give out a false optimism here, saying that given time things will work out, get better etc. But you will change, so I hope you can be open to the possibility that these answers aren't fixed, they don't govern the rest of your life. The answers you reach now, are simply for who you are now, in the condition you are in now.

4. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

"There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide." -Albert Camus

5. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

Mark_uk (and others) please don't... This may be so incredibly hypocritical but I'm a woman so I pull the 'irrational' card. All science and philosophy aside it's because of you, and others out there in similar positions, that I'm here right now. You're literally saving lives right now. Things may be horrible at the moment but the world needs people who understand and care... Suicide takes away all possibility of someday taking this time in your life and using it to eventually live an even better life. I've been getting a lot of feedback lately from different friends who have found out about my situation (can't say I'm too thrilled about that, but still...) and, for example, there was one guy who was very much in yours and mine and many other's situation described above -- he was homeless for quite some time -- but instead of killing himself he hung in there and eventually was taken in by a Christian outreach... things weren't always great from there on out but serious changes took place in his life and himself and ten years later he had created his own company, it's doing quite well and part of what he does is keep a few jobs on the side for people who are going through what he once went through and may not be as employable at the moment somewhere else, all because he understands what it's like... I've always been an idealist/dreamer and I know I'm a lot younger than you all but please don't give up, there is always tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2008
  6. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

Thanks, your words mean a lot, I know you are right deep down. There is still some hope for me. I will have to see how I answer the philosphical question further down the line. I've been feeling a bit better these last few days, I think the antidepressants have started working but my problems are yet to come, I'll have to see if I can cope and want to continue with my empty life when my time of hardship comes.

7. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I dunno about "philosophical contemplation" but I'm very lucky. I dissociate, I go manic, "psychotic" and split off which is how I've survived for years. I think the fact that I haven't been in hospital for so many years without medication, struggling to cope with family members, homelessness, humiliation etc shows I've got a lot there that I feed off in times of crisis and emergency. Then again, I do feel that without a certain counsellor at a certain point in my life, I'd be dead because I couldn't cope with the stuff in my house at that point in my life and she pulled me through it and told me that I wasn't crazy and I was fully justified in feeling how I felt about the world, the psychiatric system and everything in general.

When it comes to 'right' and 'wrong' I don't think suicide is ever 'wrong.'

There's a lot of horrible stuff that goes on in the world.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.