Philosophy - Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by galalleni, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

I was wondering if other people on the forum have a certain sense that they are somehow different from others or special. I see out from my eyes and I wonder if others see the same way I do - I guess it's more a question of philosophy - is what I see and what others see the same thing or vastly different?

The reason I wonder these things is because at cessation of life does the conscious mind cease function and what happens to this vision or thought we have from which we see or sense the world around us (even if not instinctual but abstractly our understanding of the world, where does our abstract notion of things go i.e. our essence).

I'm interested in hearing all different kinds of opinions (after all this is a philosophical question).
  2. galalleni

Just to kick start the discussion -

I take the view of neutral monism - that no one sees what actually exists in reality but we all have our separate views of what reality is. As far as death goes, I believe it is cessation of physical attribute but of beginning of some other form (dirt or ash) which can spawn new life, and who's to say that life isn't the being that supplied the dirt or ash for it to grow.
  3. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

"and who's to say that life isn't the being that supplied the dirt or ash for it to grow"

exactly, as if life was always there in the first place but a person is unaware of it

i'll try and word this according to my 'reality'

first there is a contradiction between ideas and our experience in life so far. Ideas make us question this contradiction to the point where in order to compete with the complexities of questions we can't answer, not necassarily because they are outside of our awareness range but because the format of expression used to communicate it doesn't correlate on the one path of an individuals psyche, probably due to lack of trust. so, we panic in response to the fear of not knowing, this empowers ourselves to keep pushing for more untill it gets to the point where by there is no limit to what can be created.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think a lot of us here feel special or different. I think it can contribute to suicidal feelings. That no one else can possibly understand what's going on with us because we are different. I think when you realize everyone is special, or no one is special, you feel less isolated.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I once read this book where the author said something like each person is not a person viewing the universe, but it is the universe viewing itself from a different perspective.

Anyway, not sure why I mentioned that, sorry, I'll go away now. :biggrin:
  6. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

Your random comment reminded me of a picture I saw awhile ago.

7. galalleni

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm still open to other peoples ideas - its a philosophical question of Epistomology (that is can we actual know anything or how do we know anything in the universe and how do we perceive the world or universe around us).

In terms of those of us who have been or are currently suicidal I would expect some kind of trend as to the way we perceive the universe around us and our ultimate destination.
  8. fromthatshow

I definitely agree. That's a great way of looking at things :smile:
  9. zzz

zzz Well-Known Member

I definitely don’t agree.

Scientists can tell you that light travels at approximately 186,282.397 miles per second. But they can’t tell you why.

Scientists can measure and predict the effects of magnetism, gravity and electricity, but they can’t tell you what those forces or energies really are.

Religious people wrongly argue that these are mysterious powers and are non-different from God.

But the simple truth is that everything that exists in the universe has a unique and special nature.

And the same applies to you and me.

We are not, as many spiritual people believe, like waves on the ocean that will eventually merge back into the ocean.

And when our self created ego is eventually removed we will not find a void but a unique and special individual with our own particular nature.
  10. fromthatshow

wow zzz your posts always get me re-thinking things. I think about a lot, but I rarely ever re-think what I've already come to a conclusion on.

What made you come to the conclusion that we remain an individual after death? And do you still believe we are all one whilst remaining individual? I don't see how separation could possibly exist. There must have only been one from which we all came.
  11. galalleni

Some more food for thought -

As the world's population increases there are more individuals - thus more to continue or cease to exist. So where does the new individual come from? (not physically of course, but identity-wise)
  12. fromthatshow

I've always thought about that too. I've figured either they are souls that existed on other planes that have come here for something big, or maybe many don't have souls, and have kind of a group conciousness. I've read from chanelled material (which can be iffy but at least it's something to think about) that 50% of the world's population are organic portals. Just non-creative reflections of the society they were born into. Definitely seems like that could be the case. So many people seem like they are on automatic pilot. Predictable responses, reactions. Dead eyes following the herd.
  13. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Not sure if this fits, but this is somewhat how I view the world.

We are our world--but not in the sense that we are one, or that we are a part of something larger. Our relationship to the world is like our relationship to ourselves because we two destroy one another and because we can always prevent tragedy but we never do, and because once it strikes, there is little place for redemption because we remain as innocent and undeniably culpable as we've ever been.
  14. galalleni

fromthatshow - that's very cool - that's exactly what I'm talking about - some people seem to be empty or devoid of consciousness or clarity of thought - I wonder if some people see outside of themselves as I do (in a metaphorical way, not the actual sense of seeing). Speaking abstractly if we come from a group consciousness then do we all see the same things in our reality or are our views vastly different? - or is there some kind of grey area in between the two?

My personal philosophy is that something exists in reality, but no one is able to see it the same, or see it in its true state for that matter. Something along the lines of membrane theory for the physics buffs (where matter comes from - damn bosons and fermions).
  15. fromthatshow

Yeah I think we all have our ideas about the way things are supposed to look which prevents us from seeing things as they truly are.
  16. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Im pretty sure all human beings like to believe they are unique and individual. I mean have you ever met someone who took pride in theyre generic personality?
  17. galalleni

anonymous51 - strangely enough I have - at College, met several people who prided themselves as belonging to a certain social class and how well they maintained regiment to the ritualisms of their particular class. They prided themselves on being similar to one another (wealthy).
  18. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

I have met many, after my education finished there wasn't a whole lot else to support the theory that we should keep striving for those voices which speak directly to our hearing membrane, like love, it just seems pointless when there isn't a common goal to achieve through supremacy of the generic personality.

i see herds of people felching off the sparks of there education tirelessly for years, but never grow as a person because their ability to balance their drives for success with any real compassion becomes distorted
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Life's all about "Us" and "Them". Most people want to be an "Us".
  20. fromthatshow

haha good point.
    mind if i quote you on that? haha i wanna add it to my sig.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.