Photo printing legality

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Hache, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

If I took a photo off the internet, printed it on canvas and sold it would that be illegal as I am not the photographer?

2. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

Unless it was a stock photo, yes, thats illegal. Not that youd get caught.

3. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

4. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

Im not entirely sure what the law is on these things. I know you are allowed to use the pictures, but Im not entirely sure if your are allowed to simply resell them. Logic would dictate that youd be allowed to do anything you wanted with them, but logic and law are sometimes miles apart. Id say look into it, but I dont think youd get into any trouble for the time being.

5. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I think I will just take my own photos haha

6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

If you pay for the picture no it isnt. If you just took a random pic off the internet than yes it is. Because just like anything there are rights...and the person who created the photo can sue you if they learn that you've used their work for making money...

I create covers for books and so there are sites I go to and purchase the pictures I need then make the cover....also I have rights for creating a cover, so no one can use my cover to make money unless I give them permission...

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

sxc.hu says: # SELLING AND REDISTRIBUTION OF THE IMAGE (INDIVIDUALLY OR ALONG WITH OTHER IMAGES) IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN! DO NOT SHARE THE IMAGE WITH OTHERS!

freeimages.co.uk says: 3) You must not redistribute the images in anyway designed for reuse. You must not offer for sale or sub-license these images (or a collection of) without our express permission.

Read the terms of use. You're strictly violating both of them to sell the pictures. Take your own pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.