Phrases I can't stand

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by poison, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poison

poison Well-Known Member

"It is what it is." - What the fuck else would it be? Outside of riddles and paradoxical speak, it's logically impossible for it to be what it is not. That would be like saying X = ~X. This saying is meaningless and adds nothing to an exchange.

"Everything happens for a reason." - No fucking shit. I thought things just magically occurred with no clear line of causation. I have no clue why people say this. Again, it adds nothing to an exchange and borders on being meaningless.

"That hit the spot!" - Ugh. I can't stand the way these words sound together. It's abrasive and makes my ears hurt; I cringe when I hear someone say this. It's physically uncomfortable for me to hear. This one just doesn't make any sense. It hit the spot? How did it hit it? What spot? What are you talking about?!
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

The word "should" in most situations could be considered a filthy word. It oozes judgment that the listener doesn't know their own mind or doesn't know what they're doing. It's unfair to offer advice with a judgment attached complete with judgments attached. "You should..." is easily replaced by "you could" and offers options and open discussions. (jmho)
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

You can be anything you want to be --- nice as it sounds it is pure complete crap - at some point desire and passion will lose out to reality for 99% of the world. A pity so many people repeat this that millions waste years before coming to that realization then as many more years trying to adjust to that fact...
  4. Androgyny

Androgyny Well-Known Member

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

No, the definition of insanity is...

1: a deranged state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder (as schizophrenia)

2: such unsoundness of mind or lack of understanding as prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or as removes one from criminal or civil responsibility

3a : extreme folly or unreasonableness
    b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable

Fact is, doing the same thing over and over again can lead to different results that you CAN expect! For example, a crap guitarist does the same thing over and over again and through perseverance becomes a good guitarist. Is that insane? Maybe I'm just being overly literal, but shut the **** up, Dr Phil...
  5. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

We must move forward On hearing this my mental image is of Panzer brigades moving forward into Poland.
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I think people are merely human and try to express not only thoughts, but feelings, in ways that are comfortable to them and that they can articulate the easiest and/or best that they can, and you're being overly critical. But, it is what it is.
  7. Androgyny

This is kinda true, but I think people are simply expressing which turns of phrase grind their own particular gears. Possibly better for people to express their distate for it here rather than confronting someone personally about it because they're having a bad day! lol

The only one mentioned thus far that actually bugs me is the one I personally mentioned. Couldn't help but get a giggle out of Theodora's entry...
  8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

True. Keep calm and carry on. :tongue1:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
  9. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

Cheer up, it might never happen.
    No the reason I look this damn miserable is because it did happen. I dont choose to go round looking this miserable about some thing in the near future.

Charity starts at home
    Charity may start at home, but for some home is all they have
  10. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

personunknown - I was just going to write the same one: It might never happen. I hate that expression! If it might never happen, then that also inherently means that it might happen.

Yes, Cheer up. Hate that too. Look on the bright side...It will pass...It can't be that bad...I understand what you're going through...You don't know how lucky you are...It could be worse...Snap out of it....Nothing bad is going to happen...Everything will be fine, I'm sure of it....Try to think positively....It always comes to he who waits....Time heals all wounds...Your turn will come...If you don't love yourself no one else will....You never know when things might get better....You have to believe in yourself.....It's what's on the inside that counts (not on this planet!)...

Wow. I think I could go on like this all night. (No, that last one is not a phrase I hate...)
  11. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Yup, most of those I've had some, mostly left unspoken, retorts for. "I understand .... " I first heard from my father and he didn't.
  12. Active Member

Theodora, I also agree with 'I understand' . People say this shit too easy, when the truth is they aren't even close to 'understanding' anything .

I hate it when someone says 'it's stupid to be so sad , look at what x or y has to deal with' . How do you fucking know what I deal with to say that?
  13. Nocturnal Ponderer

Nocturnal Ponderer Well-Known Member

When I'm transfering money from one account to another in a bank, the phrase that makes me want to kill myself is usually delivered with a jovial smile "Ooh, buying something nice?" The last time this happened I flipped inside and said "My mother's funeral". The poor girl became so flustered she kept tapping the numbers in wrong, but the best part is that she didn't say another word to me, which, is the way I like it.
  14. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

"It is what it is." - yeah, that's just plain stupid, and I'd like to punch anyone who says it in the face. They should say, "I'm too stupid to come up with a real response."
    "Everything happens for a reason". - This is stupid, and a copout. And it's always said after something bad happens. Why not say it after something awesome happens, like winning the lottery? "Hey, you won the lottery for a reason, to blow it all on fast cars and cocaine!!!"
  15. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

"That hit the spot". - I don't have much of a problem with that, although lt's weak sauce.
  16. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

Rest in Piece - There is nothing more insensitive and unheartfelt than saying "RIP" to someone who has passed away. When I die, I hope the people close to me can take 5 seconds to think of something more than just 3 letters and my name.

On the same token, it's not a phrase, but I think it is so unbelievably disrespectful to "like" a picture, or a page on facebook of someone who's died. My cousin's boyfriend posted a picture of him visiting his mothers grave on mother's day and people "liked" it... what exactly do you "like" about that? His dead mother? Or the fact that he's only 30 and has to visit her at her grave on mother's day? I know that I'm taking "like" very literally here, but that just seems so unbelievably disrespectful. It's like saying "I care about you, but only 1 mouse click worth of caring. Sorry I couldn't think of anything better to say, but Becky just changed her relationship status to "it's complicated" so I kinda have something more important to be dealing with right now, so I hope my digital thumbs up will suffice".
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  17. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i'm 1 of those people that hate the phrase, "things will get better".

try saying it to someone for years with no results... it gets old
  18. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

"I can't be bothered to ask whats up but you will forgot about it on my command" or the shortened version, "Cheer up"...

Actually no, "Man up" is a phrase recently used on me that is far worse. Worked better than cheer up though I tell you! Knocked the despair right out of me and replaced it with absolute rage!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  19. Androgyny

Couldn't agree more... "Man up" makes my blood boil! :lol:
  20. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Oh Well - if I tell someone something and they say "oh well" - they might as well have said "I don't give a shit about what you just said to me and wish you hadn't wasted my time expressing it." To be honest - I would rather they said that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.