Physical After-Effects of Hanging

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by ziploc_bag, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziploc_bag

ziploc_bag Active Member

Are there any visible effects of an attempted hanging? I'm writing a comic where one of the characters attempts suicide via hanging himself, but he fails and ends up with a kind of red mark/bruise around his neck because of it, which he has to hide. (based on my guessing as to what happens with one's neck)

Would there be any marks that were permanent or semi-permanent? I need to know so I can illustrate it correctly. If it's a more permanent thing or visible thing then I'd be able to use it as a kind of symbolism for his progression through life.

I know this is an off-the-wall question. Thanks for your help, all.
  2. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Not really a forum for method discussion. But i would guess it would be semi permanent bruising to the neck, a few weeks and it would clear up. Good luck with your comic, i hope its not to sad.
  3. ziploc_bag

ziploc_bag Active Member

Sorry. I guess I was asking anyone who had attempted or knew someone who had attempted. My bad. :(
  4. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

broken jaw, people have also survived with fractured vertabrae, also people have been paralysed attempting to hang themselves, unless its done by someone with knowledge there can be a lot of bad effects....
  5. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

A mark not unlike exzema on the neck. Also burst blood capillaries in the face which last about 2-3 days.
  6. CloudCatching

CloudCatching Well-Known Member

As someone who has actually attempted this method I can speak on what happens with a failed attempt. From what I'm aware that much is not against the rules.

For a few weeks I had a dark bruise that ran a ring around my neck, with an underlining mark of red from the material used- Although, that left rather quickly (within a few hours). Part of the skin had been rubbed raw right underneath my jaw line and that was there for a few days. The whole area hurt for longer than a month and even after the bruising was long gone.

If that helps.
  7. emoprincess

emoprincess Well-Known Member

read my thread
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.