Physical manifestations of depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by summerschild, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. summerschild

summerschild Well-Known Member

As some of you may know I have just gone through a major episode of depression. This was one of the worst ones I have gone through since my last suicide attempt a few years ago. Just like then my stress and depression caused me to have patches of dry, itchy scaly patches of skin all over my body. How many others have experienced physical problems as a result of their depression and how did you treat it? Just bought some calamine lotion for mine. Hope it helps. Thanks
  2. sickjk

sickjk Member

There's lots of things that have happened to me at the same time, i'm sure that depression is the cause or a contributing factor, althought i don't know how you'd know.
    I also developed eczema from when i first had a particularly bad depressive spell. My doctor prescribed aqueous cream.
  3. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

i get tired and my muscles etc ache.

they are the main ones.

you talk about dry skin and i was just thinking i wonder how many physical effects are due to depression e.g. getting fat because you cant be bothered to do anything etc. liver damage from drinking because you are depressed etc.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I get sores on my skin neurodermatitis my mother get it too just from anxiety mainly i guess not depression
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.