physical meds

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by starryeyed, Jun 2, 2011.

1. starryeyed

starryeyed Well-Known Member

I have been given methotrexate for my artritis
    Does anyone know anything about it ?
    I have a sheet but actual real people stories would be good.
    And can you drink alcohol with it?

2. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I should be starting on methotrexate in a few weeks, for morphea (a skin condition). You absolutely cannot drink any alcohol while you're taking it at all. Methotrexate's side effects can cause cirrhosis of the liver anyway, and adding alcohol would pretty much guarantee it. You also cannot get pregnant or make anyone pregnant while taking it, and for 6 months after it's been stopped. You also cannot take any anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen while you're taking it.

I'm concerned that your doctors have not made you aware of these things, and that your fact sheet isn't very detailed. If you're concerned at all, or if you develop any infections, a sore throat or unexplained bruising or bleeding, see a doctor urgently. Methotrexate was developed for the treatment of cancer, and therefore can have some nasty side effects.

Mim

3. starryeyed

My pharmacist was very helpful ,she sat me down and went through the whole thing.She said it was not not mentioned anywhere that I couldnt drink alcohol but she was aware of the liver problems.I only just got my liver tested and its 100% perfect.
    I had two drinks last night and got very dizzy.I dont think I can give it up living here as its the only escape I have .I only have a few but it helps me to relax and to write better.
    What if I took Milk Thistle ?

4. Madam Mim

I'm not sure about the Milk Thistle, I think you should speak to your doctor about it. I was very firmly told that I could have no alcohol at all, no matter what, and the information leaflet I was given said the same, as did the websites I checked out. One website said the very maximum would be one or two units of alcohol per month. Which is practically nothing! I would definitely avoid the alcohol and speak to your doctor, because you really don't want to damage your liver.

You should be having your bloodwork done at regular intervals to ensure that your liver is still healthy - is this happening?

Mim

5. starryeyed

Yeah.i mean I only took my first tablet Saturday so its every month blood tedt.
    I was told I could drink.ill ring the secetary tomorrow

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

7. Madam Mim

Thanks for that link, was also interesting to read about the caffeine. I'm not on methotrexate yet, so trying to get rid of all my stockpiled alcohol before I start (by drinking it, of course!), and then I'll be joining you in total abstinence.

Mim

8. starryeyed

II dont know if I can givr up alcohol.i gave up smokin,gave up drugs,gave up sex,i gave up shopping.i cant walk I have no life at all.its my only vice.and I gave up eating what I want too.
    May as well be dead

9. starryeyed

I really want a drink
    Id feel so guilty if I had one.my life is bad enough without this now too
    Fml