Physical pain when depressed

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by morfea, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

Among all the depression symptoms physical pain is the worst for me, I don't know what to do when it appears. It starts with feeling of deep sadness and being completely alone and then it feels as if somebody put the heaviest load on my shoulders and the pain in the chest seems unbearable. Something like an anxiety attack, but not quite, I can breathe almost as usual and no thought in my mind but the wish to die. I was on anti depressants, various kinds for several months each, but they never did me good, painkillers neither. Was wondering if anyone else has similar problems..

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Yes, my depression and anxiety will often manifest in physical ways. Since finding the right medication for me i don't have much of a problem.

It is disheartening but it can often take a while to find the right medication and dosage for you. But once you have it makes a huge difference.

I suggest going back to your doctor and discussing your options.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hey i am having that chest pain right now sometimes it stays for days I have had it checked out but nothing found it is always worse with depression. build up of something released into the muscles. I too have had to try several medications may have to increase the ones i am on. I hope you go back and try newer antidepressant okay i am on wellbutrin now different type of antidepressant it works best for me hugs.

4. morfea

Thank you both for replying. Have you ever heard of nocebo effect, like placebo, but the opposite? I don't have any more faith in drugs of any kind, had them when I was a teenager and now again, lots of different ones and they really didn't help me. Therapy did, but meds never. What's wrong with me then? I'm starting t believe that deep down I'm convinced no meds are the right ones for me and no matter what new kind I try next they won't change anything. I know it' stupid and until I try I can't be sure whether it helps or not, but after so many years of depression and different meds I've lost hope they can help.

5. total eclipse

You know what you not stupid when i first tried the meds i was totally against it upset i even tried so i found the meds did not work because in my mind i did not want them period it was all to upsetting to have to be on them.
    the second time again i fought the idea of having to take them having something control me i went off them i said they are making me sick
    the third time a little better i was starting to see without help i would not be able to stay stable to be me in control I finally heard what the psychologist was saying the meds were not controlling me they were giving me a fighting chance to survive.

When my brain finally stopped fighting against the meds no lie they started working a different category of antidepressant worked for me.

Perhaps try a different category okay the ssri did not work for me the wellbutrin is in a different category it worked. It works on the dopamine levels not the serotonin levels

Ask you doc to try a different category okay try to tell your brain it will be okay accept that it is necessary and see what happens.

6. morfea

You reminded of an article I read somewhere about lithium, I've never had it, never was diagnosed with BD, only depression and it seems it works better than anti-depressants sometimes. I'll ask the doctor about wellbutrin too. It's going to take a lot of strong will tho, forcing myself to the doctor's office again, gotta find it somewhere.

7. total eclipse

Hugs you can do it okay took me months to make that appt i am glad i did finally get that courage though and i know you have that courage too.

8. morfea

I hope so, thank you for your support and big hug to you.

9. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

That is and you cannot do a anything about it... I am my own prisoner in my own home who keeps struggling I cannot live or die, hell then what to do?? It's freezing outside(can't live in the woods*) and folks are chasing, leaving me... It's a killing to be the last one and no one to trust, the world has already died.

10. morfea

Sending you hugs... hope you're not freezing today and feeling a bit better.

11. cathyr

cathyr Member & Antiquities Friend

My physical pain also feels worse when I am depressed. I also have more frequent migraines which makes the depression feel much worse.

Try not to give up about the meds. I have been on every antidepressant known to man, and some of them work but many did not. I think it's just a matter of finding the right combination. I wish you good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.