Physical problems associated with depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by reprehendiballs, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am currently receiving treatment for severe depression and would like to know if anyone else suffers from physical pain as a result of depression. I have been getting regular chest and back pain, random small pains that can appear almost anywhere then disappear almost as fast, and frequent head pains. The head pain is not a headache, more of a shooting pain that throbs for a short time then rapidly fades away.

Can all this really be caused by depression?

2. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Im no doctor or anything but I can think of a certain part like my back or stomach hurting then next thing you know Im in pain. So I would vote Yes

3. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a study about how depressed people really are more prone to pain but it was sayng about joint pain and how some substances produced in the liver are more present in the bodies of depressed people and also seam to amplify pain. I dont know all my physical pains proved to have real serious causes.

4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I've suffered with depression since I was about 12 (I'm now 25) and since that time I've had chronic joint and back pain. I've never associated it with depression, but thinking about it that does make some sense.

The main thing that strikes me is that the only time I am not in pain is when I'm on holiday. This would surely back up the idea that my pain is caused, or at least exacerbated by, depression. Interesting...

Mim

5. whale

whale Member

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

yes depression causes physical pain but you should go to your doctor and get examined to rule out and medical causes okay Better safe then sorry could be alot of reasons for your symptoms many could be medical go get checked out okay hugs

7. cathyr

cathyr Member & Antiquities Friend

I think there could be a connection. I do know that when I am very depressed that the physical problems I do have feel worse. Like more frequent migraines and just body pain in general.

8. Daigoro

Daigoro Member

I get headaches and upset stomach a lot. I would definetly say it was due to depression

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.