physiological depression relief.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ardo85, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ardo85

Ardo85 Active Member

I've been aware of several physiological things that relieve depression. Such as exercise and getting some sun. I recently learned that simply taking a warm shower releases endorphins.

So I think I am going to start taking a 30 minute brisk walk every morning followed by a warm shower and see how much better I feel. I'm out of shape and overweight so hopefully after time I can incorporate some jogging, but at this point I think a 30 minute brisk walk would be sufficient.

Is there any other non-medication actions I can take that will relieve depression naturally? I'd love to hear some more.

2. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

The bit about the sun helping to relieve depression and releasing endorphins is new to me - the shower and walk method, knowing there are non-medical methods is reassuring, and I love you for posting them for the sense of relief they give.

What truly helps is getting enough sleep and eating regularly, most specifically breakfast. If I don't get either of those, especially at the same time, my moods are guaranteed to be significally lower than they would otherwise normally be. Also leaving the house and going out and doing things, such as trips to the museums, parks - even school - helps by no small means, by providing a distraction and boosting endorphins.

If I am by myself, doing nothing during the day, my thoughts will inevitably stray down darker paths. Having nothing to do is just as bad as not getting enough sleep, more so with a combination of the two. This is why I am glad that I have school to occupy my thoughts and my mind. During the course of my vacation, winter and summer, my depression worsens, and I know wasn't enrolled in school for the semesters with nothing to occupy myself, that my depression will overwhelm me and that I most likely will try another attempt. As of right this moment, the only things that are helping me cope is that school and the fact that I am still living with my family, most of all my mum. One alone is not enough to keep the depression from becoming to much to bear; at least school isn't, and after winter break I am not so sure that even just my family is either.

3. 2ndCity773

2ndCity773 Active Member

I wish exercise would help me but it rarely does anythingg any more. Sometimes I feel worse. Im 23 yrs old. 6 foot 3 inches and 220 pound bodybuilder. Depression definitely doesn't discriminate. I know I suffer from some type of body dysmorphic disorder. And ptsd from fighting in iraq. And I don't sleep like a normal person either. I work full time on the midnight shift 5 days a week just so I can live paycheck to paycheck. If anyone does know of any other non chemical relaxation methods that would be great. Because I don't know how much longer I can hang on.

4. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

Eating right, sleeping right, no alcohol, exercise, sex, chocolate, doing somthing you like, seeing friends, cleaning!

5. how about taking brisk walks and sooner or later try to jog, then run and keep doing it for long distance.. getting signed up for a marathon run and finishing it with a finisher medal round your neck will work much better than medications and counsellings.. all in all, it's your achievement medal after all..

after long distance running, i will soak myself in a tub of warm water.. *shiok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.