Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Godsdrummer, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I am not a cutter. But I am I think, I close cousin to the cutter. I am a picker. I find it stress relieving when I pick scabs, or hangnails, or my fingernails, toenails.

Sometimes I pay for that with infections, but I do it anway. :sad:
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I do that.

I have a cut on my arm that's been open for weeks because I pick the scab every time it forms.

Though I consider it more of a bad habit than self harm. That's just me, though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  3. Buggsy2008

Buggsy2008 Well-Known Member

I guess it is a form of self harm, just a less severe one maybe.

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I think it's a form of self harm. But PLEASE be careful. I run a self-harm support site, and I've talked to a lot of people who started out just picking and then got into more severe forms of self-harm.
  5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i pick from my scalp alot, very stress relieving.
    on top of the hair pulling
  6. Fox in the Woods

Fox in the Woods Active Member

That's an actual medical condition. I suffer from it too, I have cuts all over me from doing that. Have you tried seeing a doctor about it? I know it can be embarressing, but really they should be there to help you. Do you do it because you are stressed? It can lead to cutting, as said before, so you should probably get it checked out. I consider it to be a form of self harm, even though it's not really life threatening.
  7. Drekono

Drekono Well-Known Member

i would definitely say it can be a form of self harm. i also cut and burn too but i know that when my wounds scab over it is almost impossible for me to not pick um. the sensation of it peeling away from the skin is unique. Be careful with it :sad:
  8. foxwithwings13

foxwithwings13 Well-Known Member

I definantly think it's a form of self harm (at least to the extent I do it). It's gross but I squeeze my acne repededly. I have scars on my face, back, shoulders, and chest :sad: It's really grotesque looking, it's not like regular "pimple squeezing" for me. it's almost like an addiction!
  9. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I agree that it could progress into something more serious. If you frequently self-injure, after awhile, you get desensitized to the level of pain you are experiencing and you reach for something more intense. Like a lot of addictions, you need more and more.

I pick at scabs whenever I have them, and I am constantly picking at my cuticles/nails. My toes and fingers swell up a lot and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night because they hurt so bad and I can't fall back asleep. several of my nails are worn away on one side or the other, people always ask how I broke the nail but really I've just been obsessively scratching/ripping at them for years.

Its pretty much a constant habit for me, for example every time I stop typing I immediately start scratching at my fingers.. its pretty much subconscious at this point. I've tried to stop because people notice in public when my fingers are constantly scratching at each other, but its so ingrained in my system that I don't even realize I'm doing it and its impossible to stop. Its definitely a nervous habit, and I'm always nervous, and it calms my anxiety.
  10. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

If your releiving pain it self harm
  11. rosalee

rosalee Well-Known Member

I pick too, and from what I've read, it's a compulsion related to anxiety. I can't speak for self-harmers because I don't practice it myself, but from what I've seen, SH is kind of... more about a way to relieve emotional pain by expressing it as physical pain? idk, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I draw the distinction because when I pick, I don't feel pain. Even as I'm doing stuff as extreme as pulling off my nails with tweezers. I go into some kind of relaxed trance -- like, I don't even realize the extent of what I'm doing until I step back and actually take a look at myself. While I'm picking, my thoughts tend to focus on getting these dirty things -- hair, pore blockages, patches of dry skin, -- out of my body. And of course, the shame comes from the fact that the habit makes these little imperfections into giant scabbed sores, about ten times more disgusting than they originally were. I know how completely vile the whole habit is, but I can't stop. But I guess that's what makes it a compulsion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.