Pinching myself

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Rockclimbinggirl, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Is pinching yourself considered self-harm?

2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

If you are doing it intentionally to cause damage or injury to your body then yes. Is it something you do to cope with pain?

3. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

Interesting... I chew. I chew, bite, pick, scratch and sometimes cut all around my fingers and nails. At the moment its quite a lot and I'm drawing blood to the extent that it's often painful to use my hands or even just painful in general. Sometimes all of my fingers are stinging or throbbing together, even when I'm not moving our using them. It's only recently I was given the idea that this is a form of SH. I guess I overlooked it because it's not so severe or risky as my previous method of SH. I realise now that it's about control and comfort. Is it a bad thing? My SO thinks so. No one likes to think that someone else wants to hurt themselves, I guess.

I think it's about motivation and result. If it's a coping mechanism or a cry for help then yes. If it's harming or damaging yourself then yes. If you can choose not to do it with ease then possibly not. Ironically often advice on avoiding SH includes alternative methods that have the same effect with less risk, such as the elastic band on the wrist idea.

Is it an issue? Does it concern or unsettle you? Perhaps it doesn't matter what it's labeled as - perhaps it only matters if its causing, or indicative of, bigger problems....?

4. storm

storm Well-Known Member

Yes, I do it too when I'm very stressed. If you need to talk, message me :)

5. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I don't do it all the time, just when I'm super stressed out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.