Plane flight nerves

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by underthestars, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. underthestars

underthestars Active Member

so i have this prob where i am deadly afraid to fly. I've had no bad experiences when i'm flying just the thought of being up in the air freaks me out so much. i hate heights and up and down makes me so queasy. The last time i flew i had a huge panic attack on the way down and coming home i freaked out and cried for like 3 days because i had to fly.

The prob is i have the oppertunity to go on a trip of a lifetime in a couple weeks but it requires a 3 hr plane flight to get there. I want to so bad but i'm so scared. It will be the first time without my parents and i cant freak out on the ppl i'm going with. I'm just so scared i'm going to lose it. My therapist says that i should go but idk....sumone help...how do you deal with this kinda thing??

2. candy15

candy15 Active Member

Close the plane's windows and you can even ask those around you to do the same. Bring your iPod with you and a journal. Put the music on loud enough so you won't hear the plane's engine. Spend the flight journaling about anything. Avoid paying attention to time (or you'll feel like you're there for longer than necessary). Take something that makes you feel comfortable, something from home, or maybe something a friend gave you.
    Good luck sweetheart and let me know how it went! :hug:
    Ps: where are you going? :smile:

3. starchild

starchild Well-Known Member

I think you should go. Like candy15 said take several things that you can concentrate on during the journey, like music, or writing perhaps. During take off and landing try simply closing your eyes and taking deep breaths; listening to music will help take your mind off it. It's pretty much psychological; as long as you tell yourself you will be fine, you will be. :smile:

4. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I've heard if you let some airlines know of your phobia they'll help you through it before your flight. I cannot recall where I heard this from and I'm not sure how reliable it is (as I have never been flying myself) but I suggest you give your airline a call any way and let them know you're scared about the flight, perhaps they could suggest something.

Also do what candy and starchild suggested and take plenty to occupy you.

Go for it!! You said this is a great chance for you, if you don't go ahead with it you'll most likely kick yourself for the rest of your life. Good luck!

5. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i also have a big fear of flights.
    when i went on a plane, i would eat bread and take some
    advils to help calm me down. also, doing something that
    will consume your time will work as well. maybe bring a
    portable dvd player, iPod, book, journal, etc. dont wear
    a watch [if you have one] on the plane because youll
    just be temped to look at it. also, closing the windows on
    the plane and taking deep breaths helps, too. when youre
    on the plane before take-off, chew gum to help prevent
    your ears from popping

6. underthestars

underthestars Active Member

thanks guys...the trip is still two weeks away..i'm trying not to psych myself out before hand...but thanks for all your help. I appreciate it:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.