Planet found that is 100% able to support life!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by KittyGirl, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Read about it here
    I think this is pretty cool!
    Although we'll probably never be able to see it firsthand, it really is quite amazing!

I imagine any alien life on it to be like giant amoeba's with arms and legs; holding briefcases...oh,oh! and wearing top hats!
    But to be serious for a moment... you think this planet is the one all the scientologists will end up on when their ship comes for them?
    Okay... so it's hard to be serious about something we still don't know a whole lot about.
    I *am* excited though!
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Yeah. I was literally just reading the arcticle 10 minutes ago. freaking crazy.
  3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

"But there remain many unanswered questions about this strange planet. It is about three times the mass of Earth, slightly larger in width and much closer to its star — 14 million miles away versus 93 million. It is so close to its version of the sun that it orbits every 37 days. And it does not rotate much, so one side is almost always bright, the other dark."

That's one cool planet :D
  4. KittyGirl

I'd want to live on the 'dark side'

Then I could tell the 'sun dwellers' to come over to the dark side!
  5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Dark side all the way! Although the electricity bill might be not so pleasant.... Damn those Sun Dwellers!
  6. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

It would be cool living in the habitable zone.....on one side you have complete light and on the other never ending darkness....I'd probly have nightmares! :laugh:

Wonder when Virgin will start chartering flights to it? :) lol
  7. Just_a_guy

Just_a_guy Well-Known Member

100 percent? It could support life MAYBE, but scientist don't even know if it contains water or what kind of atmosphere it has.

Dont get too excited yet.
  8. No1_knows_me

No1_knows_me Active Member

Well, sooner or later someone's gonna find a planet that has everything life needs to be formed. And thus it most likely has life as well. But the question is, do we even wanna find that planet? But in a way it's cool a planet like that has been found.
  9. KittyGirl

Nah- I've read articles where noted scientific minds said that 'for sure it is 100% life supporting' ; doesn't mean it has people living on it, or is exactly the same as earth, but it is very similar and has living microbes 'for sure'.

It's not like I'm actually expecting to be able to move there.
    Infact; I doubt anyone from our generation or the next will ever even see any samples taken from it.
    It is just neat that it has been found.
  10. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Screw the scientists! James Cameron already proved us Pandora exists! :mhmm:
  11. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

an article said it would take (i think) 200 years just to get there!

anyway space exploration is cool and all but sadly we wont be around to be able to go visit it.

i wonder if it will be like total recall to our great-great-great-etc grandkids.
    its just impossible to guess what it will be like really and i think that fact makes it all the more interesting tbh.
  12. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Mmmmm, just thought about this... So the planet is half darkness and half sunlight right? Mmmmm what if it's like in the movie Pitchblack.... oh my, i'm not moving there. :mellow:
  13. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

Planet of the cat people! :lion:

I remember reading something about possible ways to check if extra solar planets have water or oxygen, through spectrographic analysis or something (don't remember the details). Wonder if they're looking into that.
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

OF course, that's how that know it has anything on it. They can know because chemicals all have their unique light signature of what frequencies they reflect and which they do not.

Anyways I hate it when people think life is going to be anything at all like it is on Earth; even if it's DNA based life it still has staggering potential to be awe-inquiringly different types of life.
  15. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

100% is probably right given that you need 110% for full capacity these days :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.