Plans to Survive Christmas ?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Deadly, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadly

Deadly Well-Known Member

Firstly this is only my own personal observations of course each person has to make up there own as to what can work for them but the below is how I intend to try deal with the Christmas period.

Christmas and New years can be hard for many people who are going through depression and living with suicidal tendency's. Everyone else around you and in the world will be seemingly excited about the holiday period. It can make us feel even more isolated and out of touch. This can be a dangerous time especially for people who think often about committing.

1 : Know that Christmas day is just that. Just 1 day. Yes there is the build up. Everything from tv adverts to carol singers in the street. It can be hard to avoid the realities of this time of year. But the day will come and will pass quickly. In fact I am amazed at just how much effort is put into 1 single day. So much waste so much energy for such a short period of time. But the day will come and the day will go.

2 : Your don't have to celebrate Christmas. Even though the pressure can seem immense to "have a good time" you are under no obligation to join in the festivities. You do not even have to wish others "a happy Christmas" unless you really feel you want to. One of the worst things I got last year was a number of "Happy Xmas messages on Facebook and other media." This year I have made the choice for xmas day to close down my cell phone. And wont be going near Facebook. A personal choice. As I am choosing this year not to celebrate this day.

3 : Plan ahead! No matter if you intend to celebrate the season or not. Planning can help even if you don't feel like doing anything. As I am not celebrating the day instead I am making a list of a stack of movies I want to watch. My aim is to watch these without having to pay for them. With some research they are plenty of sites online where you can enjoy good movies for nothing.

I also intend to get food in 2 days before so im not stuck starving in the flat. After then I intend to get fresh air and a walk only on the evening of the 25th Dec and again very early on the morning of the 26th Dec. While much of world will be starting the Post Xmas hangover I at least will be fresh.

Making a plan can give the day personal meaning. It can make what can be an awful time pass quickly and with as little pain as possible. I figure I have over 10 hours of movies to get through. By the time I am through the last one the day will be done.

4 : Do something no matter what it is for another person. I intend between the 25th and 31st December to go out in the street and find someone who is need and give them a few gifts. Random and by chance. Christmas is it seems all about take take take in the western world. It can be good to turn this on its head and instead give a little. I will feel okay by that and we never know what this will do for that other person.

You may want to consider taking that a step further. Getting involved for the day with a charity or even local church to help the homeless, speak to those who are lonely (like many of us here) but in doing that it will take your mind off your own situation if but for an hour or 2.

If you don't have money for actual giving the latter maybe the better choice. And what have you got to loose ? If it does not feel right you can always go back home. I also intend at 1 point to do 1 other random act of giving. In my local shop I will give a small amount of money and tell the shop keeper to take that off the next persons bill. I wont look around to see who this is. But I will do this. For me.

5 : Try Not Think! This is the hardest part as for many it is our thoughts that go round and round in our mind trying to make sense of our situations. For that 1 day the 25th say to yourself I am going to give myself an emotional vacation. For that 1 day each time I think about my situation , my past, a loved one no longer here, a situation that brings pain or what ever the thought is.... then I will push it away with the promise that it is OK as come tomorrow I can again go back to my thoughts. They will not have disappeared and will still be waiting for me. But for that 1 day. It is my break.

The above is something personal for me. Maybe others here will not agree maybe some people will. I dont know. Maybe it is right maybe it is wrong. That I also do not know. But I know that this time of year can be hard on many of us. So surely it is worth trying to alleviate some of the pain this day can bring.

Feel free to add your own thoughts and comments negative or positive.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  2. womynfire

womynfire New Member

Sounds like a very good plan.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Wow, that is an amazing plan. You are well organized, I like that idea of giving the less fortunate people gifts on the street. That is very kind of you. To someone who is very lonely and isolated in this word a small gift could mean the world to them. You have great plans made up there, I hope it all goes smoothly for you, best of luck to you and merry chistmas :) Superb plans :)
  4. _nick_

_nick_ Active Member

I am also going to be helping people on Xmas day with small gifts. :)

What small gifts do you have in mind?
  5. Deadly

Deadly Well-Known Member

Unisex essentials. Nothing amazing. Maybe some toiletries, chocolate, food voucher. Some item of clothing. Gloves / hat. Practical things of use. If the person does not feel they can use them they could always I suppose pass them on. Exchange them or even sell them. Who knows. When I get paid I will go shop and wrap these things up. Think its great your going to be doing this Nick.
  6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Wow. Thank you for sharing. This will probably help a lot of people here.
  7. Deadly

Deadly Well-Known Member

Well I hope so. I know its a personal choice but this time of year can be so hard. I lost my mum this year and remember last Christmas having lunch with her. So she would have liked this kind of idea. And before we know it the 25th will turn to the 26th ... and then onwards from that point.
  8. Donnanobispacem

Donnanobispacem Well-Known Member

Good for you Deadly, that's good advice.
  9. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.