Plastic Surgery

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by InnerStrength, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

So, I saw this topic being brought up in another thread. And that got me to thinking, what are your opinions on plastic surgery? I mean, do you think it can be a good thing, or is it always inherently a "bad" thing to do? Just curious, as I think it is slowly becoming more common.

2. Smythe

Smythe Well-Known Member

I've never really been a fan of it, unless necessary for reconstruction, or other medical needs.

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

It depends. I think plastic surgery for a cleft pallette or a severe deformity might be worth the surgical risk, especially if it drastically improves the person's quality of life. If someone is simply unhappy with the way they look but are generally normal in appearance, then I think it's up to the individual to decide. The main thing is that the person getting the surgery should be doing it for the right reasons, knowing that what the doctor does on the outside won't change what is on the inside. If a person has a healthy psyche and understands what to expect and believes that plastic surgery will simply make them look on the outside the way they feel on the inside, then it may be acceptable, depending on the type of surgery. I always thought breast implants were too much, and lipo is usually a bad idea unless you have done everything in your power to get fit naturally and are using it as a last resort. The important thing to remember is that surgery is not a quick fix for self-image issues and that safety is the most important thing when contemplating any major surgery.

4. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Do you mean cosmetic ?
    If I can have one ,I like
    to have a spare hands
    so I can beat the shit out of Sharapova.

I am jealous she has a Dad & I don;t to play.

5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I'm going for it in 2 days time.
    Some people just can't be happy with certain things about their bodies until they get it physically sorted...

6. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

i don't think there is anything wrong with going for plastic surgery if one feel so strongly against how he or she looks . If opting for plastic surgery would be a big confidence booster to the person, why not? Isn't it better than to live life depressed and suicidal because of one's natural 'features'?

7. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

i don't think there is anything wrong with going for plastic surgery if one feel so strongly against how he or she looks . If opting for plastic surgery would be a big confidence booster to the person, why not? Isn't it better than to live life depressed and suicidal because of one's natural 'features'?

8. incognito

incognito Well-Known Member

What did you get done, if you don't mind me asking?
    And, how's recovery going? o_O

9. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Kinda hard to talk about it in public I guess. Still a bit like that. PM me if you really want to know though.
    Recovery is going much better than expected!

10. Dying embers

Dying embers Well-Known Member

I've no problem with it, but people who have obviously had plastic surgery look so unattractive to me. don't wanna go too near them in case they pop :unsure:

11. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well-Known Member

Natural looks are more beautiful, you can't substitute God or mother nature for Dr. Abdul. I think i would only see it in a positive light for re-constructive surgery, since your just trying to get back to your former looks after an accident/war/etc,

12. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Only positive situation I see plastic surgery in is re-constructive procedures. Natural/unique looks are more attractive for me

13. incognito

incognito Well-Known Member

You can't always distinguish between the parts that are natural and the parts that aren't. What you find natural, unique, and more attractive may in fact be altered, results of plastic/cosmetic surgery.

And another thing, I know plenty of guys who point out certain girls and say they prefer their "natural" looks compared to those of girls who wear tons of makeup. The thing is, those girls they prefer are wearing makeup. Guys just aren't perceptive enough to realize.

14. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Of course it's a good thing to do. It makes you more beautiful on the outside, which is what counts.

15. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I had it done so I could live like a normal human being. It wasn't reconstruction. It was I was born with but shit it is far from beautiful :(

16. tbs

tbs Member

I hope to get plastic surgery some day just so I can finally feel beautiful about the way I look. My whole face is fucked up (my parents have the worst genes ever), but hopefully it won't be in the near future. I think if people hate the way they look, and they view plastic surgery as their only option they should get it. I don't judge people who get plastic surgery, and I would hope no one judges me for my choices either.

17. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

First, I want to be clear that I believe the individual should have the right to cosmetic surgery if they feel it will improve their life. It's their choice to make, not mine.

However, I'm personally disturbed that this is such a common operation in our society. Perhaps 1 in 1000 would be born with some major defect in which an operation would be an acceptable action, but the reality is that most people paying for this surgery have psychological (rather than physical) problems.

I think doctors and other qualified medical professionals need to take responsibility and stop promoting and encouraging surgery if it's not necessary for health reasons.

Our society's obsession with trying to preserve youthful appearance, promote perfection, and hide aging by any means necessary is in fact "unhealthy" in my opinion.

Would it make more sense for people to accept their natural human traits (as well as the natural signs of aging) and to be happy with the natural states of others as well, or to promote and popularize augmentation of our looks and discrimination against those who look different? Is there any middle ground?

Does anyone see a similarity between today's obsession with looks and the racism that was prevalent in previous generations?

18. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Most docs I have seen, including my own and those on documentaries, try and steer the patient well away from cosmetic surgery if it isn't a needed thing. They even gave me a list of reasons why it isn't a good idea to have it and I needed it for physical reasons.
    I'm totally in agreement how you find it disturbing about how society is a chop shop for the new look, but the doctors cannot be blamed and their methods cannot be disputed because these doctors and these methods are out there for people who need reconstruction, not just face lifts.
    I was sat next to one guy in hospital who had his ear bitten off. Amazing graft work made him look like hardly anything had happened. Another over the road with a cleft lip, his fourteenth operation and his last.

I strongly believe it is the fault of society pushing everyone into thinking they need to be the next new thing. That they need to be thinner, prettier, taller, curvier, hunkier, the list goes on.
    I say the best way to get the message across is to stop these putrid idiot shelf mags from going on and on about how everyone looks for a start. Although to be honest it's been going on so long now the damage seems to already have been done...

19. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

its fine. I dislike when people do it for stupid superficial reasons though. Like getting huge breast implants, such a ridiculous fad.

20. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Purely cosmetic is a bad thing IMO.

But it's interesting. Where do you draw the line?

It's really no different to exercising, wearing make up or getting an expensive haircut - just more extreme. Each of the above can dramatically change how someone looks.

And I agree that society at whole is at 'fault'.

Look has surpassed function in terms of importance. Where looks used to indicate good health from hard work and exercise, they can now indicate something completely different ... obsession and in my opinion moderate mental issues...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.