Platonic relationships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Winslow, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Is anybody else into Platonic relationships? I am. In a sense, it could be seen as Stoicism in that there's hardly any emotion. But that's good because if you don't open your heart, then you won't suffer heartbreak in the future. So does anybody else here practice Platonism and/or Stoicism?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  2. Tempest

Tempest Member

I'm not in a platonic relationship right now, but I think it would be nice. Then I wouldn't have to worry about things getting in the way and I could just be open and honest with someone. It would be nice to be able to share that with someone.

3. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I don't believe in stoicism or platonic relationships. My friendships are free of physical affection, and I see no point in absolutely denying that aspect of my personality. Why not just be good friends with a prson who you've no intention of bedding?

That way, the other person wouldn't become so frustrated.

4. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

in my own twisted opinion....and my own heterosexuality.....i have two kinds of relationships with men. friendships. romantic relationships. i never have sex with friends. i must have sex in the romantic relationship - otherwise it is simply a friendship.

...my heart is open in both romantic and friend relationships. lack of sex in a relationship does not prevent heartbreak or risk of hurt. only lack of caring can prevent heartbreak.

love is worth the risk. my opinion only.

5. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

No offense but who are you trying to kid, we all want love. It's only natural and we are only of human species. Sometimes we can't get what we want, so we suffer and hate. But i have no intention in changing your views, I agree ignorance is bliss.

6. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

<3

I guess platonic relationships can help some people at times, those who just want the physical side of a relationship as opposed to the emotional side, however any and all relationships, in my opinion, run you the risk of opening your heart and being hurt. What if you fall for the person? Or what if they fall for you? Relationships in general are tricky and complicated even when you try to extract the emotional side from it, as there are still emotional risks for both you and the other person.

I can understand the concept of it being appealing though. It'd be nice to have someone you can enjoy your time with both sexually and non-sexually without the emotional turmoil.

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

you can have a loving, non-sexual, platonic relationship can't ya?

as far as i understand a platonic relationship is one where there's no sex. you can have emotionless, distant sex, that doesn't mean that a person wanting more wouldn't be heartbroken....

a relationship is made out of emotions isn't it?

8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Platonic is used today to refer to relationships without sex. But the term means a relationship where sexual feelings aren't acted upon. Specifically, it was Plato's excuse for not sleeping with his students.