Pleading not guilty

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by lav11, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lav11

lav11 Well-Known Member

Two years ago i reported one of the guys who hurt me to the police...
    The case was looking like it was all done the last month.. He was saying he would plead guilty, the police were saying there would be a substansial time of imprisonment and within 4-6 weeks he would go to sentencing...
    Then last week, out of no where he has pleaded not guilty... He has said he would plead guilty if i say it was consentual (there would still be imprisonment but not as many years as im a minor) the case is going to drag out once again as it goes to committal hearing next month (where i have to make another testimony in front of a judge), then to a trial with a jury and cross examinations then possibly sentencing so probably another year, give or take.
    I really just want this all to be done with honestly and i feel like he is still trying to control me in doing this.. By saying it was consentual it puts me at fault which is what he wants.. He wants me to feel guilty (even though i continuosly said no)
    Whats more is him saying he will probably be pleading guilty doesnt count for anything. Surely him saying yeah i'll probably plead guilty and then saying ill say i did it if she says it was consentual should count for something! I mean how can that not be used as evidence, how can he be allowed to do that and why torment me like this.
    I just want to scream and cry and shout and die. I want this case over and done with. I want to try and move on already and him saying well yeah i broke the law but she wanted it is not helping in the slightest.
    I really hope he gets put in jail and his guilty conscience eats him for putting me through this. He knows it wasnt consentual and sooner or later hes going to realise how much he hurt me
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Sorry hun dam court does this but eventually hun he will be put away I am sorry he is still trying to control you hugs
  3. frypan367

frypan367 Well-Known Member

Yeah don't fall for any of those lies. The psycho is trying to make you sound like a liar and turn it on you. Fight for your justice that you deserve. Cant you tape him saying stuff like that?
  4. Angel12

Angel12 Active Member

Why are you talking to him?
  5. lav11

lav11 Well-Known Member

i havent talked to him since i reported it and i dont plan on it..... he said it to his lawyer who has then told the prosecutor.. and the prosecutor later told me what he had said..

thats the thing... he told the prosecutor he would plead guilty, he changed his mind at the last second and said ill plead guilty if she says it was consentual... apparently that isnt admissable evidencee or whatever!!! i mean he's sitting there saying guilty and that cant be mentioned in court?!?!?!?! the jury wont even ever know that he was going to plead guilty!

its just soo frustrating!
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

That sounds extremely frustrating. In my eyes the jury should have to know he was initially going to plead guilty. Why would he have ever thought if pleading guilty if he was innocent, the simple answer is he wouldn't.

Look at it this way; at the end of the day you still get YOUR day in court and you can tell the jury what happened. I never got that, they wouldn't prosecute in my case due to lack of evidence. So just keep going hun and hope for the best possible outcome, you have us for support :hug:
  7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am so sorry for your difficult situation and can empathize completely even though on a different continent. We have been trying to get to court for my daughter for a year while he is out free and it has been adjourned 3x for totally ridiculous reasons, and the day he was going to plead guilty (May 1st) he got to court and his attorney announced that he had decided to exercise his constitutional right to trial by jury and maintain his non-guilty plea. My only point is - it seems it happens all over the world. They are weak cowardly people that do these things- that is why they committed the crimes to begin with - it should not be a surprise they continue that after they reported...

The trial is now set to begin on 18 June - next Tuesday- in the case of my daughter. Yesterday there was a last minute hearing where defense requested another adjournment - thankfully it was denied this time so it seems like it will finally happen. I say this as a reminder it is painful and long , but eventually will happen - they cannot hide forever behind lawyers and court systems.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this and I truly hope a resolution arrives for you soon :hug:
  8. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

In the UK if the defendant is found guilty after a not guilty plea the sentence imposed is longer than if he pleaded guilty. I hope this also applies in Australia and the US and is some consolation.
  9. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

It does in the US, yes. The very basic gist of plea bargaining is that the accused may be accorded a shorter sentence if he admits his guilt and saves the state the cost and resources required for a full length trial. There are numerous other scenarios for plea bargaining, of course, but it mostly boils down to that. If the accused rejects the offer of such a plea bargain and is found guilty, the sentence imposed will be lengthy. Much more lengthy than he would have gotten by agreeing to a guilty plea.

To lav11, take heart and be strong. What he says is of no consequence, including what he says in court if his attorney calls him to witness stand to testify. It doesn't matter. It means no more than the 'not guilty' plea itself.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.