PLEASE ANSWER: Smoking ban : UK or elsewhere

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by meagainstme, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meagainstme

meagainstme Well-Known Member

im doing a photography project about the smoking ban and would like to know what peoples personal opinions of it are. whether you smoke or not.

this is about the uk ban, but i would like opinions from other people from different countries

thankyou SO much :hug:

2. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

i dont smoke, i have done in the past but not now. im not really sure whether or not i should be i replying to this. i am currently caring for a loved one who is dying of lung cancer so i am very biased.

i think the smoking ban is a good idea, in fact, anything that encourages people to quit, or reminds them of the health risks, is a good idea in my opinion.

3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I personally think its a good idea, if someone wants to smoke then why not do it in their own home?? doing it in a public place is putting other peoples health at risk.

I have smoked in the past. I have a heavy smoker in my family. I HATE her smoking (hipercrital i know) but i have my reasons for not wanting her to smoke.

But im my opinion, tis a good idea.

4. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I think a ban in public enclosed spaces and work places is a good idea - it's not fair that other people should be put at risk for going to work or out for a meal.

I wouldn't back a total ban though or even a total public ban (eg. no smoking in the street). I really do believe that it's the individual's choice if they want to smoke. It'd be great if they could come up with a law that stopped people smoking when pregnant or in an enclosed space around young children (eg in the home - why not step outside?), because children don't have a choice about whether to be around it or not, but I'm getting a bit sick of the nanny culture, to be honest.

And yes, I do realise that complaining about the 'nanny culture' makes me sound like a grumpy fat man who chain smokes and eats lard out of the packet, wahsing it down with a bottle of whiskey before beating his kids... But it actually is starting to annoy me. We should be allowed a certian degree of free choice, as long as we're not hurting anyone else.

5. reborn1961

reborn1961 Guest

I quit 15 years ago. Its better for my health and my pocket book. In the states most everyone has banned smoking in most resturants, shopping, office buildings, hospitals. There are still places that keep a "smoking section" within the resturant but they are becoming less popular and I expect will be gone in the next 5 years. Any location that is enclosed should not have smoking as those that don't smoke can't get away from the smoke.

As for outside, I don't really see any issue with that unless I am missing something.

6. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Fucking bastard smoking ban, I want to shoot Tony Blair up the arse cause now I can't go to a pub because whenever I drink, I have to smoke.

7. ~Nobody~

:laugh: :laugh:

:rofl:

*high five for the honesty* :biggrin:

8. ybt

ybt Guest

smoking is, frankly, lethal. so yes, a ban on it seems to be in order...

9. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

You don't take any prisoners, do ya Mel? :tongue:

I think a ban is a good idea :)

10. meagainstme

ah thanks for your imput. keep the opinions coming :)

ill post the pics once ive done them...should be done in a couple of weeks

11. ~Nobody~

Do you mean a ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces or a total ban? Because all we're having is a ban in enclosed public spaces and work places.

12. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I think my favorite smoking ban story is how when the Democratic party came to Boston for their 2004 national convention they repealed the no smoking in bars and restaurants ordinance for the period of the convention.

What a load of crap. Either you have a ban or you don't.

13. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

Agree on enclosed public spaces, but not outside.

14. meagainstme

theres really no need for it to be banned outside. as long as people respect those who are near them and dont throw them ugly cigarette butts on the floor.

15. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

We (Northern Ireland) are actually ahead of England on this one! :tongue:
    Our ban started on 30th April, it's great, you can eat a meal in a pub without inhaling second hand smoke.. an extra plus is that a lot of premises have been redecorated, so everywhere is both fresh smelling and looking.
    A lot of landlords have added areas for the smokers, the law states that 2 sides can be closed, this ban may also encourage some smokers to give up, saving them money and improving their health. Unfortunately my 17yr old daughter is not one of them! :mad:

16. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

And Scotland was ahead of everyone :tongue: *loves very much the chance to gloat for once*
    Yeah I really approve of the smoking ban, it's GREAT not to have people smoking all the time. It hasn't really affected anyone in my family - dad gave up when I was younger, and my mum hardly smokes at all, and NEVER liked anyone smoking where there was food around.
    It was funny in London, I was sitting there in shock when Robin pulled out his cigarettes and went to light one lol, until I realised that the smoking ban hadn't kicked in there yet... :laugh:

17. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Absolutly, then we should also ban alcohol because people can get violent from it and it causes lots of damage, oh and stop driving because carbon emitions are just as bad for your health as smoking, and no fatty foods because all the cholestoral patients are taking up room in the hospital, and then we can all buy safety bubble rap jumpers that have the insignia "absolutly no enjoying your life" on them.
    If anyone had used their fucking brain in this bill they would have come up with a choice system for local pubs and centralised areas would have had to have 3 or more compulsory clubs and pubs that do not condone smoking on the premises, that way none smokers will flock to these pubs and business wouldnt be lost. Now were going to have a bunch of people standing outside in the fucking rain and theyre all gonna have to be treated for colds and phnumonia. Even breathing kills you eventually.

Btw, if this all works and people end up quitting then your going to see a tax rise as well.
    Agreed definite ban in restaurants and pubs that serve meals.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  18. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

We haven't had a smoking ban in all our time on this planet. What's the point of having one now!? The damage is already done, it just makes us smokers irritable and then the non smokers suffer from our irritability

19. itachi

itachi Well-Known Member

New Zealand did this years ago.
    lol

20. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

theres no smoking in any public building in caifornia. including bars. some cities have a no smoking law anywhere. don't smoke, but i used to. smokers have rights too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.