PLEASE ANSWER: Smoking ban : UK or elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

meagainstme

Absolutly, then we should also ban alcohol because people can get violent from it and it causes lots of damage, oh and stop driving because carbon emitions are just as bad for your health as smoking, and no fatty foods because all the cholestoral patients are taking up room in the hospital, and then we can all buy safety bubble rap jumpers that have the insignia "absolutly no enjoying your life" on them.
If anyone had used their fucking brain in this bill they would have come up with a choice system for local pubs and centralised areas would have had to have 3 or more compulsory clubs and pubs that do not condone smoking on the premises, that way none smokers will flock to these pubs and business wouldnt be lost. Now were going to have a bunch of people standing outside in the fucking rain and theyre all gonna have to be treated for colds and phnumonia. Even breathing kills you eventually.

Btw, if this all works and people end up quitting then your going to see a tax rise as well.
Agreed definite ban in restaurants and pubs that serve meals.

damn right
ive decided to do my photography project about smoking just being part of going out and how its just going to lead to other stuff being banned and how much control do the government want over us

~Nobody~

damn right
ive decided to do my photography project about smoking just being part of going out and how its just going to lead to other stuff being banned and how much control do the government want over us
Sounds like a great idea :smile:.

Oh and I'm glad someone other than me referenced the nanny culture :tongue:.

Well, as an American living in the U.K....
I'm a smoker...also an asthmatic. Stupid, I know. Anyway, when I was a little kid I remember when people could still smoke in malls and restaurants in the States. It was awful for me, as my asthma was still quite severe at the time, I could only spend like a half an hour in such places and it usually ended with my mother taking me out to the car crying and sucking on an inhaler. I still hate shopping to this day, partly due to old associations I think. So even as a smoker I approve of the ban, plus since it's been in place in the States since I first picked up smoking, I never missed being able to smoke indoors. The first time I ever smoked in a pub was actually when I came to the U.K., and while it was nice to have the experience, in the enclosed space of the pub I could have done without the cloying cloud of smoke. Made my eyes sting and just made the pub feel claustrophobic and a bit dirty. Even as a smoker myself I found the smoke smog made it harder to breath. I've been living in Scotland and don't mind the ban usually, though on those driving wind/rainy nights when I'm freezing my bollocks off in the doorway having a ciggy sometimes I wish there was a smoking section or somewhat like that as we often have in the states. For the people who don't smoke, and aren't choosing the dangers that come along with smoke inhalation, I think it's only fair that they can go out and have a fun time at a pub without having to deal with someone else's carcinogens, or getting home and smelling like old ciggy smoke. A ban on smoking in all public places (i.e. open air areas like streets and whatnot seems idiotic to me though. We breath in all sorts of pollution anyway, a person having a drag six yards down the lane isn't really going to make a bit of difference). So, that's my take.

I personally agree with the ban. I grew up with family members chain smoking around me and while I do not have asthma or anything, I found it difficult to breathe. I have watched family members die fromthe effects of smoking, both smokers and nonsmokers. I think it ruins the taste of my food. When I am in a public place and someone lights up, I often have to leave. My daughter is very allergic to it. While I agree it is an individual choice, why should my choice be taken away? What is my choice when the person sitting at the next table lights up? Let me see. I can leave, or not breathe. I think it equals out. :dry: I do not mean to offend any smokers here. I know how strong the need can be. Just don't force your need on someone else. Too bad it had to be invented in the first place. Then there would be no need for this discussion and noones health would have been affected by it. Although there would have been something to take its place I am sure.

Savior

italy's banned smoking in 2001 and since then it's SO MUCH better. if you gotta smoke, you go outside the pub/restaurant. whats the problem?

smackh2o

SF Supporter
The problem is your asking for a cultural revolution that is not wanted by a lot of people, smokers or not. You don't just tell the americans to stop watching baseball or you don't just tell the chinese to stop building vast industrial sectors or tell the poles to forgive Germany for WW2. If you think people can just be changed with a simple little law then your mistaken. You reach into the heart of the people and they will follow you into the most dradful of conditions for nothing more than a dream. So now, what is stopping a big bunch of guys and gals saying, they take all our taxes and they make us go outside in the pissing rain for a wood bind that has been culturally excepted since tobacco was brought to England. If anyone tried to be a bit more diplomatic and fitted a law that graces both smokers and none smokers then there would be a lesser problem, but no, pressure groups gung hoe the way and make you sing out of your arse. Bullshit! If that is the way the government wants to play it then fine because if any fucker wants to drive their car past me i'm going to throw a rock at it because I don't want to breathe carbon emisions. I also don't want any bastard flying about because planes cause more pollution than a motorway of cars. Oh, and you can forget having a fart because I don't want you destroying my ozone layer. Fuck off!

meagainstme

The problem is your asking for a cultural revolution that is not wanted by a lot of people, smokers or not. You don't just tell the americans to stop watching baseball or you don't just tell the chinese to stop building vast industrial sectors or tell the poles to forgive Germany for WW2. If you think people can just be changed with a simple little law then your mistaken. You reach into the heart of the people and they will follow you into the most dradful of conditions for nothing more than a dream. So now, what is stopping a big bunch of guys and gals saying, they take all our taxes and they make us go outside in the pissing rain for a wood bind that has been culturally excepted since tobacco was brought to England. If anyone tried to be a bit more diplomatic and fitted a law that graces both smokers and none smokers then there would be a lesser problem, but no, pressure groups gung hoe the way and make you sing out of your arse. Bullshit! If that is the way the government wants to play it then fine because if any fucker wants to drive their car past me i'm going to throw a rock at it because I don't want to breathe carbon emisions. I also don't want any bastard flying about because planes cause more pollution than a motorway of cars. Oh, and you can forget having a fart because I don't want you destroying my ozone layer. Fuck off!

*applause*

Savior

i agree that therat governments are extremely hypocrite when they ban cigarettes from pulic areas and at the same time they income billions by the tobacco business; still, smoking is an unhealthy individual choice, and NOT a social habit, and thus thay have to try and preserve public health even with these laws that someone might consider ridicolous.

here in italy everyone's always thought its a just law and a good decision, and so does the majority of smokers.

<Mod Edit: Abacus21 - insulting>

Last edited by a moderator:

smackh2o

SF Supporter
I'm not disputing that in a perfect world everyone not smoking would be good. But I am trying to get across that you can't change a core area of society without repercussions and sometimes its really advisable to be a bit less heavy handed in our tactics. Btw, I read my post and I said f off, I wasnt telling you to f off, I was just telling the concept of the government being pushed into making a sledgehammer decision to f off. I didn't mean to insult you Saviour.

S

suicide_ideation

Cigarettes are bad, and they affect people that don't smoke.

Therefore smoking in a public place is WRONG, completely.

Thank God it is forbidden here.

Some smokers are bitter at society, or something. They don't care about you. If they smoke it everyday, why would it affect a non-smoker. Why is the non-smoker so worried and selfish. Blablabla.

Some even smoke where it was always forbidden, no respect. This isn't even an issue. Everyone normal person is against smoking in public places.

And if they are 'rejected' like that, it will dissuade others from smooking. It will be viewed as stupid, as it truly is.

They invented cigarattes to get people addicted, and keep them buying it, nothing more evil than that. And it skrews their health.

Capitalism at its best.

Last edited:

smackh2o

SF Supporter
Actually, they didnt invent it for the addiction becuase when it was 'invented' we knew nothing about the addictive or health risks of smoking.

And what is this distinguished thing about smokers all being inconsiderate and evil? I'm a smoker (obviously :P ) and I woud'nt dream of smoking next to someone who didnt want me to. I ask if I sit down if they mind and that's something for me because i'm a social reject.

But i'm just going to reinforce the same argument I already have because no one seems to be able to give me a decent answer. Why should I stop smoking in a place where it is universally excepted to smoke (my local pub) and yet I still have to walk down the road breathing in the shite from exausts which actually does a hell of a lot more damage to 'passive smokers' than a cigerette does?

JohnADreams

But i'm just going to reinforce the same argument I already have because no one seems to be able to give me a decent answer. Why should I stop smoking in a place where it is universally excepted to smoke (my local pub) and yet I still have to walk down the road breathing in the shite from exausts which actually does a hell of a lot more damage to 'passive smokers' than a cigerette does?
Because driving has a more practical use than smoking and removing all modern forms of transportation would cripple the economy? It's just easier to choose a partial smoking ban than any form of ban on driving.

Wish they'd hurry up with the hyrdogen cars though. :biggrin:

meagainstme

thankyou for all your replies

but could people give me their opinion specifically on

people tasting like an ashtray
spending money on cigarettes
treading on cigarette butts
clothes smelling of cigarettes
effecting the taste of your drink

THANKYOU

~Nobody~

people tasting like an ashtray

I have never licked an ashtray :tongue: But I have kissed people who have been smoking, and people who literally have smoke in their mouths. I quite like it. :blink: But none of these people were smoking straights, it has always been roll ups, and I hate the smell of straights so I imagine it would be the same with taste... I know I don't like the taste of straights even in my own mouth....

spending money on cigarettes

It's just a choice isn't it. If you choose to smoke, and not to steal, then you are making the choice to pay for them. If you can't afford to or hate that you have to, then make the choice not to smoke.

treading on cigarette butts

Never had a problem with that... Even when I hated people smoking. Why would I? I'm sure I'd hate it if they were literally like a carpet, but the odd one on the pavement doesn't phase me at all :blink:.

clothes smelling of cigarettes

I must confess that recently I have grown to love the smell of cigarette smoke (not straights though, only roll ups) on people. It smells... comforting, and safe. To me. I don't know why... :unsure: The people who have scared me the most in this life have smoked, but I guess I'm building new associations these days. Gotta be a good thing, right?

So yeah, on others, it's nice. I meant it when I said comforting, god only knows why though.

I hate the smell of straights though, I hate the way my clothes get to smell at home (around my mum and her husband who both smoke straights these days). Smoke from straights smells of chemicals and tar. Smoke from roll ups smells earthy and nice... Am I a freak? :blink:

effecting the taste of your drink

Only a problem if you're smoking straights, which I don't. I love smoking while I drink. Hell I guess I just love smoking. I actually do.... Is that bad?

:unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00