please... any advise at all

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by eih, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eih

eih Well-Known Member

:sad:... school starts again in 2 weeks for me.

I've spent the whole summer kinda dreading it. I have big scars all up and down both my arms. Not just ones I can cover up with short sleeves... I've spent the summer with short sleeves b/c I really havn't had to be anywhere..

anyway... I'm going to a new school... I want to make a good first impression... what should I do to cover up my scars? I've tried make-up and it does not work!

Should I just resort to the wearing long sleeved shirts in summer thing? I live in a pretty hot area... it might look really funny. I was thinking of just buying alot of undershirts and wearing short sleeved on top of them so it doesnt look so weird...

What should I do? long sleeved? Should I just let them all see my scars? I can't really pass them off for " I was in an accident.."... I just dunno what to do..:sad:
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Go with long sleeves...just try to wear light colored shirts and fabric that breathes well so you don't get too hot. People shouldn't really take that much notice of it...I'm sure they're all too worried about their own impressions. Also, there is a product called Moderma that helps to heal scars, which you should start using. Vitamin E oil also helps.

Have you stopped hurting yourself? A new school is a good reason to turn over a new leaf and start fresh :) Good luck and welcome :)
  3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Depends on what the scars look like I guess, but to save peering eyes and questions I think you should wear light cotton long sleeved tops under a t shirt or something. You'll feel more confident about it :)
  4. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I like to use tubular support bandages... say you have weak arms and need to support them. Long sleeves are good too. Or if its really hot then keep your arms down as a last resort.... but that isnt really ideal. Try some scar reducers to get rid of a few scars... I find makeup works if the scars aren't too bad. Good luck.

5. neverdie

neverdie Guest

Well that really depends on you. If you show off the scars, and make up any story you like, and they've gotten use to them, They will accept them as long as they heal. As time goes on IF the scars get worse or don't heal, then they will be asking a lot of questions.

So if you show them, that only gives you one option, to stop cutting. If you can't stop cutting, then the only option is to hide them.
  6. lost_child

lost_child Well-Known Member

Self Harming is not a crime...

I also self harm, I have some nasty scars on my arms, legs and body...I used to cover them up, I was ashamed of the scars, but the scars remind me that I have survived, remind me that I am surviving ~ People used to stare, People used to ask day I got annoyed with all the questions and I said to them... "I cut myself because I can't express the pain, because I don't know how else to express the hurt that I feel inside, don't judge me unless you know how it feels".... the response I got was crap, but it made me realise, that I have to reason to be ashamed..if people judge me, so see the scars so what....I survived, and am still breathing.

Although I don't cover up my arms anymore, I do wear a concelor that fades them so their not so in ur face...I don't want to advertise that I self Harm, but at the same time I want to be able to wear the same tops as everyone else.

I guess what I'm saying is, do what you want, ppl who judge don't understand and are not worth the time of day.

Lost xx
  7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I have the same problem..Heh..I just wear hoodies and wear a spaghetti strap shirt underneath it and say I'm dress code so I can't take it off..I dunno, I know what that's like though. Hope all goes well. :hug:
  8. thebiggestlie

thebiggestlie Member

You could try finding one of those hoodies that only go just below your chest, I think they're called shrugs or something.
    Anyhow, they're really easy to pull off with a t-shirt or something underneath them, and it won't look weird.
    If your arms aren't compleeeetely covered, you could try just buying loads of bracelets.
    G'luck. x
  9. eih

eih Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the advise everyone.. I really always appreciate it alot..

I did end up wearing long sleeves..... I hate these new people though. Just from the few scars they have seen they've already made snarky little remarks about suicide and depression... Ah well... I'm not the only person who has to deal with it ... so sorry for complaining so much
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.