Please help bipolar members

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Khvde, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Hi. I want to learn things from bipolar members here.
    My psychiatrist diagnosed me mainly as ADHD. I had my first depression at the age of 14 and had my social anxiety at 18.
    My psychiatrist suspects I have some type of bipolar too. I just think it is ADHD.
    Recently I started sleeping 4 hours at night and felt good, before that I would need to sleep more than 8-9 hours to feel good.
    The thing is, I sleep 4 hours at night but at like 6-7 pm I sleep 3 hours also.
    So yesterday when I was at my visit to my psychiatrist, he asked me insistently if I was spending too much money lately, if I was more sexual, If I was more social.
    I said no to all this questions because it is the right answer but he kept asking again.
    What do you think?

2. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

By the way, another thing that suprised me was my psychiatrist asked me if I am interested in opposite sex even though I told him I am a lesbian and he knows it. That felt weird.

3. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

My sleeping is for 4 hours between 4.00 am to 8.00 am, also 7 pm to 10 pm.
    I thought I wasnt very clear about it in my first post.

4. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

I probably don't have bipolar, my current diagnosis is schizoaffective, which was formally known as schizoaffective bipolar type II which is the bipolar form of schizoaffective. Manic episodes for me occur when I go without sleep completely, I'm often hyper sexual, hyper confident, I lose weight, feel good, most of all, I feel important. In those periods, my relationships with people often falter, job performance diminishes and I have little insight into how my words may be interpreted. It feels like reality is conspiring against me.

Khvde likes this.
  5. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for your help.

Inspire&Inquire likes this.
  6. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

How common your high, mixed or low episodes are?

7. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

By the way, I dont know much about bipolar so I just think most high and lows of me is about ADHD.

8. Inspire&Inquire

No problem.

Khvde likes this.
  9. Inspire&Inquire

It's hard to say, my highs are suppressed by medication, Its pretty constant if I don't take my medications. Meaning, I can trigger it if I don't take any medications. I've had two major manic or psychotic episodes in about three years. (I began throwing up my medications, it probably wouldn't have occurred had that not happened to me.)

Khvde likes this.
  10. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

He was asking you those questions because those are just some of the diagnostic features of the disorder. As to why he continued to ask them again and again, my best guess is that he wanted to make sure you were not being deceptive.

Khvde likes this.
  11. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

He also asked me if I am interested in opposite sex even though I told him I am lesbian in my first visit. And when I told him I am lesbianagain at yesterday's visit, he said he knows.
    It felt weird. Like why did he ask that knowing I am lesbian?

12. Inspire&Inquire

Maybe he was looking for consistency in your replies, or maybe he's just a wishful pervert who wanted to ask you out or something. :p

Khvde likes this.
  13. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I agree with you. He was either asking asking to be extremely sure (that is still weird though why would I lie about being a lesbian, no psychiatrist asks hetero patients if they are interested in same sex people when they know their patient is hetero), the other option is being a wishful pervert. That might be it because he kinda gets this involuntary smile when I say I am lesbian or when he asked me about opposite sex.

14. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

Quite possibly he could've been attempting to establish some parameters, or even a baseline of sexuality. For instance, if you are typically one way--or interested in one thing & then at this moment you happen to be that much more, that might lead to a particular conclusion. I don't honestly know though; you should bring it up to him & not necessarily expect a text book definition as to why, but more so some peace of mind. And try not to outthink the shrink too much, or it will be counterproductive...unless you think he is unprofessional or incompetent: in which case you need to find a better one.

15. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

But it is only true when he asks if I am more sexual than usual.
    It is one thing to ask if I am more sexual than usual and it is something different to ask someone if they are interested in a gender they clearly said they arent.

16. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I dont outthink the shrink too much.
    But when something is weird, it is weird.

17. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Asking if you were also interested in the opposite sex is not in the least out of line, anymore than asking a hetero person if they are interested in or have fantasy about same sex people- and neither being gay not hetero would mean that one cannot be interested or responsive/fantasize about other genders. Particularly given age and if there are any other signs of defiant or attention seeking behaviors (which with ADHD would be difficult for there to not be) asking these sort of questions is to try to determine which answers are factual and which are based on how how you see yourself or want to be perceived. Repeating questions on different visits is very common with psychiatrists or any mental health professional because the fact is peopel lie so much during sessions it is the only way to guage truthfulness, and perhaps if he believes that there are things you are lying about if there is a tell to see if you are lying to establish what that tell is. So far as questions of a sexual nature, they are often brought up to establish what a person's comfort level is when discussing "private" things or the way a person responds to things that are private or intimate to establish when other questions that are not so blatantly intimate or private have cause the same type of reaction given an indication of what other issues the patient may have that they are not openly disclosing.

18. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I am sorry that you think people with ADHD are more attention seeking than people without it.

I dont really agree with your post but thanks for sharing.

19. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

By the way, if you are bipolar, could you give me info about how bipolar presents itself?

20. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I know you didnt mean to be offensive but that is one offensive post. :)

You said wit adhd it would be difficult not to have attention seeking behaviour.

Asking sexual questions to determine someones comfort zone? No.

You are acting like people with adhd lie about their sexual orientation and psychiatrists should be very careful of that. :D

I have adhd and I saw lots of people who has their own ideas they like to believe about adhd but your post was a first for me.