Please help me calm down

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Petal, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have been very panicky for the last 24 hours, palpitations, sweating, fear, anxiety,paranoia, cannot control my thoughts and feelings. I'm worrying over things that are ridiculous to worry about, I know but it doesn't make it any less real but please tell the anxiety that. I've taken my meds and still cannot calm the hell down, any suggestions?

2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Hun have you tried the Butterfly hug? I find it really works for me

I'm sorry you have to suffer like this, you're such a lovely person!

brknsilence likes this.
  3. Petal

Thank you hun, can you explain the butterfly hug please?

4. ThePhantomLady

You cross your arms over your chest and very lightly tap your hands into your upper arms, one hand at a time in a very slow and steady pace

apparently that works by cross stimulating the brain... you might need to do it for a little while before it works... but it does for me

WildCherry, brknsilence and Petal like this.
  5. Petal

oh i just did it and feel dizzy from it, maybe that's a good sign? i will try it a few more times now, thanks for your prompt response.

6. SteveBy

SteveBy Active Member

I find breathing very slowly, but deeply, and focusing on something right in front of you, some words on a page or a candle...move slowly

brknsilence and Petal like this.
  7. ThePhantomLady

I hope it works for you. *hugs you* It does sometimes make me feel dizzy too actually.

8. Petal

Do you have any other suggestions sweetie? The anxiety is getting into a danger zone.

9. ThePhantomLady

What about the 'grounding' method?

Find 3 things you can see and describe them in detail... focus on them...
    Find 2 things you can touch, describe them in just as many details... cold... warm... fuzzy, smooth?
    Find 1 thing you can taste or smell and describe it to yourself... if you are tasting something feel the texture in your mouth

WildCherry, brknsilence and Petal like this.
  10. Petal

Thank you so much, this is mindfulness and it's helping :)

11. Petal

I've calmed down now as much as I can, thanks for the support.

12. ThePhantomLady

I am happy to hear that hun!

Could you go for a walk or something to get the last of it out of your system?

13. brknsilence

brknsilence Well-Known Member

Sometimes, getting in a quiet room with no distractions and thinking of a peaceful place helps me with anxiety.

Petal likes this.
  14. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Petal, I hope you are feeling better, anxiety attacks are horrible. I'm glad one of PhantomLady's techniques helped, I'll need to try those.
    Brian

15. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'll need to remember those techniques too, for those times when anxiety kicks in. Glad you're feeling better!

Petal likes this.
  16. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Hey hun, I am sorry you felt so anxious today, hope you are feeling better now *hugs*

Petal likes this.
  17. SteveBy

SteveBy Active Member

Hello Petal....I hope you're feeling a bit better today. I liked the post from ThePhantomLady about bringing your consciousness into the present and focussing on the reality in front of you. The ghosts in our minds can play havoc, but most often they are just ghosts. I find deliberately connecting with something real and tangible in the here and now can help quieten the mind.

Petal likes this.