Please say "There, there"

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Theodora, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

About half an hour ago the main alarm went off in my sort of sheltered bungalow while I was quietly sitting doing a puzzle. No one was answering the call system. I went outside and saw a warden in the distance. She went to the lodge and turned it off. A neighbour told me that everyone's alarm had gone off not just mine. It must seem very silly but I was really disturbed by this incident. What finished me was thinking that what I really wanted to do was tell someone about it. Then I started crying because there's no one to phone. I was so startled by the incredibly loud noise, then worried because I didn't know how I'd set it off. It is very silly but at least I can come on here and vent.

2. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

:hug: I'm sorry... Things like that can be very upsetting.

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Always people her to tell about such things :hug:

4. Theodora

Thank you so much Mo and Ben. Both of you are stars.

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Just the sound of that type of alarm sets me off, and add to it you could not assess what was going on...very scary indeed...glad you are safe

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:hug: Everyone has their triggers..and yes, you can always vent here about anything you would like to. You are not alone.

7. Theodora

Thank you Sadeyes and Music. I've lived here just over a year. I'd never heard that particular alarm before. Believe it or not that's the third! Every room EXCEPT the kitchen has a smoke detector. Then there are the emergency cords. I've not accidentally pulled one of them for a while. The one in the bedroom hangs between the door knob and the bath room light switch. Very convenient. So I just leave the bathroom light on all the time.
    Thank you so much everyone.

8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Alarm systems - so necessary, and so nerve wracking when they go off unexpectedly! Management in my building warns us on the days the alarm company is coming to test the system. I jump every time it goes off - heart rate soars, Star runs, I feel momentarily disoriented. We have 16 floors in the building and sometimes they test multiple floors - should give you an idea of the workout my heart gets on test day. lol Thea, I can appreciate how this startled you. PM me any time if you need to vent about alarms! I can relate somewhat! :hug:

9. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Not silly in any way and of course you wanted to tell someone. Lots of people here who care :hug: I hope you are feeling better

10. Theodora

Acy and Freya you're both so kind and understanding. Yes now I have calmed down. I can't express how grateful I am to everyone who's posted. It's made the difference between me feeling full of despair then and me tucked up cosily in bed now.