Plenty of Fish

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Aerial, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried plenty of fish dating site? I'm thinking of giving it a try. I'm debating over whether or not I should because I'm still trying to get over my fixation on someone. But can't stop thinking to myself that maybe another focus is what I need to move on and meet someone I can actually hang out with in person. Maybe I'll luck out and just have someone cool to chat with. I'm fine with that too.

If you've tried the site, I'd like to know if your experience was good.
  2. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Not myself but I know another member who has and I think his experiences have been okay.
    I'll point this thread out to him next time I speak to him.
  3. Zirone

Zirone Well-Known Member

I have a female friend who uses it, although she hasnt found anyone as of yet.
  4. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

i dont know about anyone else but i find the "fish" part off putting, lol, when I think of girls I do not want to think of fish
  5. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Aside from that the name undermines the effect breakups can have on a person, and makes use of the sickening view that there are plenty exactly the same... let's not forget that the seas also are being outfished. :p So it's an utterly retarded name... more than enough for that I would never even consider using it. Probably even especially attracts promiscuous people with that name....
  6. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

It's actually one of, if not the, biggest dating sites out there. A friend mentioned it to me and I've been visiting the forums every now and then for about half a year now. The community is pretty interesting. Judging an entire household by the name of the house is a good way miss out on meeting some great people.
  7. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

Actually, I use it. It's pretty decent, definately lots of matches avail on there because it's free, and noone really wants to pay for things, so tons of people on there. The only downside is that it's prob a bit harder to find someone you'd like in the end, but their profiles usually give you a good estimation on what they are like. Another bonus is that there doesnt seem to be a lot of dead/robot accounts whatsoever. I havent found anyone yet on there myself for me, but definately had a lot of good matches that are in the middle of going somewhere.

Overall, definately join... cant hurt, it's free, and pretty much everyone's on there.
  8. 12years

12years Well-Known Member

It's no worse than CraigsList or MeetUp, methinks. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Don't expect much, though. As always, people look a lot better online than they do in real life.

Eh. I judge people who frequent night clubs. I may miss out on meeting some great (and reportedly intelligent) people, but I'm not particularly bothered by that... :mellow:
  9. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I'm with you there, not a big fan of night clubs either. You never know when or where you might meet an awesome person though. I met one of my best friends in a store I've only been into once. I still wonder, if I hadn't met her that day, how I would have spent all the time we've spent together if she wasn't a part of my life. Probably doing the same things I always do. Never hurts to give things a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised.
  10. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

Judging from the responses thus far, I'll give it a go then and see where I land. I do like that it's free.
  11. SirCamel

SirCamel Well-Known Member

i'm gonna be straight up honest. people will judge your picture and not even care what you say about yourself. Even if you get a date there proably just gonna wanna a quicky and then never talk to you again. but if u can find a loyal dude or gal or whatever more power to you. just be careful. and have fun. ;)
  12. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

I'm still struggling with deciding on whether or not to open myself up to meeting someone new, but maybe SF should have a dating forum?

If we meet someone on Plenty of Fish, they might not be people who can understand some of the issues many of us are going through.

Like I said, I'm still wondering if going on Plenty is a good idea. I started a thread on wanting love a few minutes ago that explains some of the thoughts I've been having about this. Maybe it will help others too.
  13. 12years

12years Well-Known Member

So do you want to meet someone to get over your old flame or do you want to meet someone because you want to meet someone?

If it's the former, POF will be the perfect place to you. Don't go meeting people hoping they'll be "the one," just make it casual and have fun. If it's the latter, however, stay away from dating sites, and go outside and talk to people (with friendship rather than romance being your first focus). To be honest, I've always been wary of dating sites and people who use them for reasons other than casual dating.

After reading your other thread, though, I think it will be in your best interest to work on yourself first. Love comes easily, but no one wants to be in a relationship with someone who has self-esteem issues.
  14. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

My experience with pof:
    It's like the real world in that some people are jerks, others are decent human beings. I've met many men on there, 98% of them being a-holes. If you're hypersensitive, I suggest you tread lightly, if at all.

I managed to find someone there and we've been together for over a year, recently moved in together. That took a lot of searching though.
  15. IDKwhatIwant

IDKwhatIwant Well-Known Member

i dont like it. but its nice to say i tried. lets me reply to topics like this one.
  16. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

Part of me wants someone to chat with, hang out with, but I won't lie and say that there's this need to fulfill a void. The void I kinda mentioned on that thread I typed about earlier. That's why if I decide to actually open a profile, I'm ok with meeting someone for chat or online friendship too. I know I'm in no position for something very serious now because I know what that desire reflects at this point in my life. I still feel I need to be somewhat social though...

I do feel lonely as I keep to myself these days and rarely go out. I'd even meet other women if they were interested in friendship only. I need to get out of the house more and force myself to be a tad more social. Isolation frequently looks like a solution to my problems, but since I'm already a loner, too much of that just means I'm too weak to deal with the real world. Only way to deal with it, is to be in it I guess, little by little, at my own pace.
  17. shefallsasleep

shefallsasleep Well-Known Member

I did that but used a different dating site, but I found out that it doesnt distract you at all, it makes you feel a little sad coz you can't find anyone who compares to that person youre trying to replace
  18. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

The view of the staff of this forum is that "this is not a dating site". When I've explained that people in our state have nowhere to turn, they haven't seemed to care but just held to their view. I'm afraid that such a suggestion will pass unnoticed, or at least mostly so.

I do not think it is a good idea that you turn to that Plenty of Fish place. As I already unsurprisingly was right about, it is a nest of promiscuity. Any decent person would most likely do best to stay away from it, unfortunately. Then again, close to the whole of humanity is a nest of promiscuity... I guess the truth is that any decent person would most likely do best with staying away from the whole of society... not just particular places... which, of course, means one wouldn't ever find one's true love... wondrous world. -_-
  19. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

Suicidal feelings probably aren't the best things to start a relationship on anyway. It's easy to relate to people that are feeling the same way you are, but once those feelings are gone what are you going to do? Unless you plan to stay suicidal for the rest of your life(paradox?), it isn't going to be much of a relationship in the long run. I always got the feeling the forum was a place for compassion and understanding; While that might not be too different from romantic affection, there is still a pretty bold line dividing them.
  20. IDKwhatIwant

IDKwhatIwant Well-Known Member

decent people stumble onto dating sites... not everyone is 'promiscuous'. im not...